1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

about backing up back-ups and burn speeds. . .

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by VJbob, Apr 22, 2005.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

I've noticed that some of my old backups are having lots of hickups so I've tried backing up backups using the same ripping/burning tools and at the same burning speed. I could be wrong but the backup of a backup seems to be of lower video quality. How can this be? Isn't it just data "O"s and "1"s.

That brings me to another question. I would prefer to burn at 8x or maybe even 16x but I stick to the advice given to me and burn at 1x or 2x max. Will my faster burned cds start to become unreadable and cause read errors quicker? Thanks for any help.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

What media are you using? Cheaper media can degrade after time causing "hiccups" and possibly the loss of video quality. I have backed up back ups with no loss in quality. My rule of thumb is to burn at 1/2 of what my burner supports with quality media like TY's. One drive I have is 16x for -/+ r however the highest I ever burn at is 8x. Also some burners only support 16x with +r media. So far the ones I burned at 8x (for the past 6 months)- no problems but used TY's.

3. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

VJbob,
    If there are errors(hiccups) on the 1st backup then it will also be on the next backup. D/L DVDinfoPro(free) and do a CRC test on the 1st burned DVD and see how many errors are there.
    If your burner can burn at 16X there should be no problem if you burned one at 4X
    The reason some of the disks are becoming unreadable is usually because of the blank media used. Always use good quality blank media

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Re-ripping your backups:

Media quality and the basic 4x burn speed max on the first backup copy.This is another way that poor quality media/and/or too fast burn speed can screw us!!!!!!
    No problem for me using this technique,and I do a lot of re-ripping on the fly with nero express.

Burning at 8x and 16x: Make sure you have both a quality burner and media.The possibility of errors is even greater for those speeds,but the high quality media will help out.

If you run into problems re-ripping, try dvd decrypter and set it for Rip with brute force and Ignore all read errors. This may help you out.

5. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

is 'princo' considered crap media? Also I have a SONY external burner although I've heard positive things about Pioneer burners. It seems that TY discs are the most highly recommended. Is there a consensus for external DVD burners? Not sure which to buy when I need to upgrade. Also, is Ritek/Ridata as good as TY discs? The TY white top media is quite more expensive than Ritek and was thinking of trying it out.

Also, was wondering, how do you know when your DVD burner is too old? Can it eventually lose laser effectiveness and create DVD's that become unreadable quickly. I suppose, I'm just looking for an excuse to upgrade.