1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

about burning speeds. . .1x (errors), 2x, (good) 4x+(???)

Discussion in 'PS2' started by VJbob, Apr 14, 2005.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

So I have one of the first batch of dvd burners made, SONY DRU500UL and I've been burning backups with NERO or DVD Decrypter for a some time. However, when using decrypter, 1x burnt games are unplayable. I've burnt some NERO as 4x (my maximum default) and they came out okay. But usually I stay with 2x (for backup movies as well) just because it seems like a safe number. However, I've been thinking about picking up that new dual layer sony burner and burning at higher speeds. Will the quality still be as good if I burn at 4x or 8x or should I still burn at 2x with a new burner? I'm concerned about longevity and risk of damaging reading lasers as well.

Also, my DVD burner is having trouble reading and identifying inserted discs at all, is that a sign that I should get a new burner? Will that problem effect the quality of burns? Any help much appreciated.

2. xcp

xcp Member

i have only burnt one game and that is thug 2 at max speed which is like around 7 or 8x and it seems like the game is better, because the levels load faster than on the original game. I also burn movies at max speed which is about 7-12x depending on the media and I have never had a bad burn and I have burned about 80 dvd's. But i was also wondering the same question if there is a magic number for burning games.

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

Movies i never had a problem with at 8X.
    Ps2 games were skipping and noisy the cutscenes
    would be messed up along with the audio.(When burnt at 8X)
    NOW I burn my ps2 games At 2x (MAX).

I also recommend using dvd decrypter to make
    and burn the game .iso
    (Much better than nero.)

I use verbatim and fujifilm +r media as well.

4. steimy

steimy Active member

Yeah, i stick with setting DVD Decrypter to 1X
    It still burns my Phillips 8X DVD-R discs at 3.8X no matter what i set it at, and they all work just fine.
    Nero i have burned them at 4X and they work fine

I have a DRU-700A and love it, great burner.
    And the Phillips discs i have a 100% success rate with.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2005