1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? about "free streaming" music.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by fishbulb, Aug 22, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Concerning sites that offer people the ability to listen to music for free w/out being able to burn it unless purchased--such as Yahoo Japan as stated in the news article in the afterdawn news section, and I think either Napster or itunes does too, is there a program out there that can "get around" that sort of thing? I know there are programs that allow you to record streaming music such as from internet radio. Would this be the same kind of thing?

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well if you can actually get the URL link for the streaming audio, you can easily capture it with something like Net Transport or Stream Box. Even winamp has a plugin to record streaming music. I capture the Digitally Imported trance streams all the time

3. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

@djscoop
    When you say you "capture" the streams, can you also burn them? That's my main concern. Where do you get the Digitally Imported trance streams from? Are you talking about a particular site?
    I just installed [bold]Mercora IMRadio[/bold] and it seems like a pretty good service. I think you can record songs to your computer but you can't burn them. Have you (or anyone else) tried this program? I'd like some opinions or feedback on this one. Thanks.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Digitally Imported is just a company that has several electronic music mp3 streams that I capture.

To answer your question, yes you can burn them. I use the plugin for winamp (you can find it under the plugin section at winamp.com) and as long as you capture the entire song from beginning to end, you will end up with the entire mp3. It automatically tags the file for you and everything. The other apps I'm not sure exactly how they work when capturing audio, I only use Net Transport to capture video streams, but I'm sure it will work as well.

Anyways, you end up with just an mp3 (as far as the mp3 streams go) so you can easily burn them to audio CD using a buring app like Nero

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Thanks for the quick response djscoop. One more small question just to clarify, if you don't mind. The site you mentioned, Digitally Imported, is it one of those sites that says you can only "listen" or stream the music from their site and not burn, therefore forcing people like us to look for apps that will capture those streams and burn them anyway. Even though they say you can't burn them ;-) wink wink.

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah precisely. they figure that everyone out there is as smart as a caveman, but forgets that there are clever people out there like us afterdawn members. using simple streaming capture tools you can easily download the streams and burn to cd.

7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

btw here's DI site if you want to check it out, they usually have good stuff on it, if you're into electronic music. I myself like trance the best

http://www.digitallyimported.com/

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Eh, I like some trance every now and then too! Its all I listen too on WinAMP radio. I was thinking about adding some of it to my music collection.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005
  9. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

Well, I'm not big into electronic music but it does have a little variety in the skyfm channel. Cool looking site too. Music started playing right away and sounded really good. I'll keep looking for some sites like this one that lean a little more towards my musical tastes. Thanks for the help. It's beddy-bye time!

10. loveradio

loveradio Member

I’ve been capturing steaming audio from bell south, similar to yahoo music using an http media tuner/player. Do you know of any ideas to also capture the artist info too?

The label content is supplied in their player..

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I guess it depends on what format the yahoo streaming music is in. When I capture the Digitally Importet streams, they are streaming mp3s, so winamp reads their tags and marks the files accordingly. So I'm not sure if the same would work for other streaming formats as well. If you need a good tag editor program though, give Tag&Rename a try

12. loveradio

loveradio Member

My ISP, Bellsouth, provides music streams @128 kbs. BS streams WMA's
    and uses a java script window to provide artist content, media tuner features and I think site login.

I'm able to record high quality streams by using cool edit, but have not found a compatible player to capture music streams and artist tags together. So I'm using software called webassitant that works through a proxy protocol to store cache content like web images, scripts and even the “artist info” in folders for retrieval at a later time. It works but is a clumsy solution. I’ve also noticed the artist info no longer displays in the java script media tuner window provide by Bellsouth.

Any other thoughts.

13. loveradio

loveradio Member

and uses a java script window to provide artist content, media tuner features and I think site login.

I'm able to record high quality streams by using cool edit, but have not found a compatible player to capture music streams and artist tags together. So I'm using software called webassitant that works through a proxy protocol to store cache content like web images, scripts and even the “artist info” in folders for retrieval at a later time. It works but is a clumsy solution. I’ve also noticed the artist info no longer displays in the java script media tuner window provide by Bellsouth.

Any other thoughts.

14. loveradio

loveradio Member

Any other thoughts.

15. loveradio

loveradio Member

Any other thoughts.

16. loveradio

loveradio Member

Any other thoughts.

17. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Using the WinAMP-Stream plugin you can record any stream that is currently playing on WinAMP radio. It will make tracks and everything in the Mp3 format.

StreamRipper:
    http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2005
  18. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yup, thats the one I use. Works great. You can start recording a stream and walk away, it will automatically make tracks and tag them and everything. quite painless.

19. elsamboys

elsamboys Regular member

djscoop; i also have a question? you said you can capture and burn, is that legal or illegal?

also, does anyone know about bearshare website, they ask for some fee, and you can download anything, is it consider legal or illegal?anyone see this forum, please tell thanks

20. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Its illegal if u use it to download anything copyrighted ;)