1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

about inkjet printable dvd-r. . .

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by VJbob, Apr 7, 2005.

1. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

So how exactly does this work? I'm thinking I can't spool a DVD through my regular printer so I must need some fancy $1000 heavy duty printer to do this? Can anybody fill me in please? Also, any info on specific equipment would be much appreciated. Also, is the finished product from a printable dvd better quality than a custom made one using a printed label?

2. cuzzer

cuzzer Member

i use the epson R300. good quality discs,photos, cost £85 in uk, quality is a lot better than a label, some are so good you wont tell the diffrence

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I just got my epson r-200 a couple weeks and I am very impressed with how easy it is and the quality of my backups disc labels and case covers. My friends could hardly tell a difference between them. $80 at Sams Club.

5. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

I'll cast another vote for the R200. I love it! Nearly 400 DVDs and counting. The last one I printed looks as good as the first one.

DF

6. Slotstick

Slotstick Member

I agree!!!! ahaha.. You can tell how excited I am. I got my R200 a few days ago... AND ITS AWSOME!!!! (sorry for the shouting) I use to use Sticky Memorex labels and they worked for me (not saying everyone, its personal preference) but now its all about the R200 BABY!!! Less than $100 and its easy to use. Prints come out perfect. As far as ink goes I have been using the expensive Epson ink (mainly because I take a lot, a lot of pride in my DVDs) and Im affraid that if I go with the cheaper ink it might not last as long, smudge, etc, etc. Anyone know the differences or has had experience? Your info will be greatly appreciated and save me $$$$, Thanks
    ~Nick

7. blackjet

blackjet Guest

Not sure how this works. Do you scan the original disc first or do you come up with your own art work to print to blanks. And what about case covers.

8. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

sounds great!!! 6 ink cartridges on a $100 printer. was wondering a couple of things though. First the r200 doesn't have a scanner so how do you get the image of the backup for printing? Will any scanner do or effect the quality of the printed image? My scanner doesn't completely scan my backup discs, it only does an average about 4.81 x 4.65 or something like that approximately, really frustrating and don't know how to fix that.

Also, was wondering how the r200 works as a photo printer? Do the photos come out photo quality?

Also, does anybody know where to get ink jet printable taiyo yuden at 4x instead of 8x? Checked out supermediastore.com and I could buy (taiyo yuden) about 250 silver tops 4x for the price of 100 ink jet 8x. Supermediastore.com does sell genuine taiyo yudens correct? Also nobody burns discs at 8x even if they are taiyo yuden right? I heard the quality is poorer and they wear down your reading lasers if you burn above 2x. Can anybody confirm this? Thanks for the help.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

First of all this place has very good ink I can't tell the difference in quality from this ink and the Epson http://private.abacus24-7.com
    You can sometimes catch all 6 cartridges for 17$ thats when I buy 2 or three sets. :)

Second why buy the x4 media the x8 is perfectly fine, and if you want you can still burn at the slower speed.

Third it prints awesome photos. What 6 cartridge printer doesn't?

Fourth you can use any scanner to get your pictures or design your own, or there are several websites you can go to and download your pictures. Here are a few
    http://daprogger.mine.nu/

http://www.incomplete.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/covers.html

http://www.dvdcoverz.com/

http://www.spleenworld.com/coverart.html

http://www.cdcovers.cc/new_dvd.php

http://www.coverland.co.uk/

http://covertarget.com/

http://www.a1cdcreator.com/index.php

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

8x media is my preferred media,even though i still burn at 4x. I haven't tried the ty printables. I really like the full hub printable and my burners prefer the + format,so I got the verbatim data life plus +8x's. The faster you burn,the more chances for errors. ALso the increased speeds will likely affect the stand alone players that will be used to play your backups.I have burned a few +1x-8x sony's at 16x and they looked very good.Those verb dlp will do 12x in my benq's.As far as wearing down the read lasers, that's a new one on me!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

12. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

i've been seeing some printable dvd's with silver tops. Has anyone tried these since they are lower priced than white printable tops? It seems those wouldn't come out as great, just wondering.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I just got some of the silver printable, and I don't really like them, but my wife does. I guess it's what you like better, but IMO they just don't seem to print as clear, but they do leave a shiny apperance if that is what your after. I don't know maybe I'm just used of the white inkjet printables and these will grow on me (they are going to have to for now seeing how I just got 100 of them) If you like them to look shiny then the silver ones are the way to go. I guess I'm just not into the shiny..

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Question for bbmayo and Saugmon...

A few threads back someone mentioned that a drop of water actually made the ink run on a printable disk. Can you guys test a DVD, under water, and see what happens to the ink and let us know? That would be an ultimate test I would think. :)

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I already have tested it and yes the ink will run if you get it wet as I stated earlier, but I don't get ny DVD's wet, and I don't know to many people that do? All in all it holds up very good I just wouldnt go spilling nothing on them and then try wiping it off (maybe just dab it with a towel) or your going to smear the ink. Best advice I can give is to take care of your DVD's like you should be doing anyway. :)

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Some like to spray a clear sealer on the printed side of their backups. I have never done this or felt it necessary as long as they are handled and stored appopriatley.

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

So I guess eating pizza with greasy hands and handling the printed DVD's is out of the question eh? :)

Or should I say Frog Legs?!?!?!? <G>

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  18. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Yo scubabud, I'm just getting started on printing my dvd's and covers so I haven't tried water testing them.LOL

I took bbmayo's advice and will keep them nicely safe and dry.

Pizza and frog legs sound pretty tasky!

19. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

I use the spray and not only does it protect the ink, it make the DVD look like an original disc. The glossy spray adds alot to the quality if the picture.

20. VJbob

VJbob Regular member

whats the difference between 'inkjet printable' and 'thermal printable' dvds? The thermal are more expensive. Doesn't thermal mean heat? Is that some kind of expensive heat pressing system, sounds like bulk manufacturing? Also I would think most printers are inkjet right? Which does the r200 support? Thanks.