1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About Modding...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by rxester, Feb 18, 2008.

1. rxester

rxester Member

First of all, I'm really sorry for creating such a newbie topic..=)
    I got my wii a year ago, and for quite a long time now I've always wanted to modd it.. but I keep forgetting probably because I dont know how..
    Well, anyway. There's this gamestore that I go to and they modd wii and they charge for around $100 CAD if the wii was bought a year ago and $150 if it was bought somewhere around this year, and they will give 5 free wii backup games..

If I will do it myself, will it save me money?,
    I know that it involves soldering and I'm pretty sure I'm good at it,
    Can anyone please tell me what's the best and reliable modchip that I can find..
    and also, what are the materials that I will need..

2. kevin32

kevin32 Member

Well only if you can do the soldering. If you cant it better to let the professional do the job. Sometimes it better to leave it to the pro or else u might regret doing it yourself.....;)

3. bigd1234

bigd1234 Member

What mod chip you want depends on what version of Wii you have. There is a web site that will estimate what version of Wii you have based on the serial number.

If you have a d2b chip you will want a WiiKey.
    If you have a d2c chip you may want someone else to install it. But you would be looking for the d2ckey or Argon.

I would sugguest either taking it apart, and seeing if it is something that you want to attempt. (You really don't get a grasp as to how small everything is until you look at it.)

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Go HERE and type in the serial # of the Wii and it will tell you what your WIi has. It is pretty reliable so what it says you more then likely have.

If it shows you have a DMA/D2A/D2B it should be something a novice could solder.

If it is a D2B with cut legs then you will need to solder to cut pins or file down the chipset itself revealing the pins to solder to. I would recommend a novice to bring it to a pro. Same for D2C chipsets. They require more wire instillation and would be better if a Pro installing it.