1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About subtitles and DVDShrink

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by gort9k, Aug 23, 2003.

1. gort9k

gort9k Member

Hola:
    Yesterday I used DVDShrink to make a DVD backup (George Lucas' The Phantom Menace).
    As I was not interested in menues and extras either, I used reauthoring mode. So I kept only the movie and the language I was interested in (Spanish).
    Everything went OK, the soundtrack retained Dolby digital, etc. Video quality was excellent. But there is a small thing...
    In the movie (DVD I mean)in the scenes where aliens talk "puiyfd%khbv##sd@@h" you can see subtitles with the dialog. How can these be kept?
    I am not interested in keeping all the spanish subtitles (for example), as I don't want them showing all the movie lenght. I just want to keep this kind of alien translations

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

If its kept as a subtitle it is most likely to be included in the spanish version you use. If its not, then you should just keep them all and select spanish and see if it comes up.

3. gort9k

gort9k Member

Thanks, Oriphus, I'll try what you suggest.
    By the way: any idead about DVD-lab?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I've heard its good, but never used it myself

5. clintgeek

clintgeek Member

I don't think the text gort was referring to was actually subtitles. I think it is actually encoded into the video as it only shows up when the characters are speaking in a foreign language and appears whether you have sub-titles on or off.

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

That is the other possibility, however, is that the case in the Phantom Menace?

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I don't remember where I got this from, but I remember reading somewhere (Doom9 maybe) that 'captions' like that are often part of the regular subtitles so that they can be displayed in different languages. Since I always keep the English subtitles (my wife likes having them for when the kids are being loud) I've never had reason to test this myself.

8. gort9k

gort9k Member

Well:
    I haven't had the time to test that matter thoroughly but I think those 'captions' are embedded as part of the subtitles. I don't know, exactly, where they are. But I ripped again "The Phamtom Menace" keeping subs, and in the part where the flying alien in the junk yard talks to the boy (Anakin) as they talke away in "%#@&&&bvrffsh" the simultaneous translation appeared.
    So, where are they kept?