1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

about to buy a burner - media question

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by sans, Feb 8, 2005.

1. sans

sans Regular member

i'll be making backups of my dvd movies, as close to original quality as possible.
    i'm about to purchase the NEC ND-3520A (as suggested in the other part of your forum :D )

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=27-152-039&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

here is my question - i know nothing about the differences between DVD+R and -R and RW etc.
    i DO know that memorex DVDs are crap.
    what type/format of blank dvd's should i be purchasing for burning movies

(my standalone dvd player is an apex ad-500w fwiw)

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Those stand alone player/s you play your backups on will tell you which format they play. I haven't had any trouble using + formats. Having a dual format burner comes in handy for those stand alones.

I'd say any media made in japan would be your best results: ty,and some of the following are made there:sony,maxell,fuji,verbatim,and tdk. If buying in a local store,just look for the made in japan on the label. I just found some sony +1-8x made by ty yuden.It can be a little trickier buying on the net. Just keep in touch with the dvd-r media forum for the best sales and where at.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The drive I use is the Asus 1604-P which is really a NEC since the main chipset comes from NEC, the NEC D63635GM combined with the NEC C333500. Mine loves the recommended Sony SONY08D1 media which is DVD-R 8x and can burn on this unit at 16x. Today for example I burned Shark Tales using DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink removing only the foreign languages and used custom ratio on the menu's and extra's, leaving the movie set to automatic. Tight fit to say the least and burned it at 16x to see how it did. It came out flawless! Besides the Sony usually runs on sale at 19.99 for a 50 cake package. Good luck with whatever you purchase!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  5. sans

sans Regular member

6. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

I started DVD burning around a year ago using cheap DVD-R disks. The failure rate I thought was acceptable. However I have since bought a DVD recorder to replace my video and discovered it would only burn DVD+ disks - so bought what I needed - cheap DVD+ disks - big mistake as they wouldn't burn. In the end I was forced into buying more expensive disks that do burn very well - no failures in either my DVD burner or recorder. I suppose the moral being spend a little more on quality disks. I tend to use Verbatim DVD+R DL and TDK DVD+R. Haven't used Sony but would imagine they would be fine.

7. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

Sans:
    In reply to your 15.15 message.
    At first DVD burning looks really daunting - I know as I have had to learn a whole heap about what programs to use, what burner is 'the best' etc etc
    The NEC is a very good burner - even though I use a Pioneer. I have no idea what DVD media is 'best' and I don't care as long as I get results I am happy with. Cheaper generic disks I found had a failure rate - but at 30 cents a disk I felt it was an acceptable failure rate - others might not. I only buy DVD+ disks now - for no other reason than they are the only disks I can burn in my recorder. I only buy TDK and Verbatim - for no other reason than they work for me and I have had no failures with them. I have no idea if memorex are any good for me - sounds like someone has told you they are crap because they had a bad run with them. It sounds like other users have found them acceptable.
    In the end I suggest you buy your burner - then find out what brand works for you. Buy fewer disks to begin with - I made a mistake of buying in bulk - until you find what works for you.
    Good luck

8. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

sans, i gave you a link to the official media compatability list for your burner. use it.

9. san2124

san2124 Member

plus format is more widely used

10. sans

sans Regular member

balaam, thanks i know you did but like i said i still dont know what to buy

11. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

buy the stuff thats recommended. TDK or Taiyo Yuden are at the top of the list.

12. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

Take Balaam's advice - so far I have used around 100 TDK's in both my Pioneer burner and Philips DVDR75 without a single problem. The cheaper no name brands I would say around 15% failed in my Pioneer and not a single cheap DVD+ disk could be burnt in my DVDR75

13. sans

sans Regular member

ok guys, just got my nec 3520a and a 50 pk of yuden today, both from newegg. i'll let you know how it goes.
    do you guys know where i should get the drivers from? the nec site only has a firmware update for the 3500.

also any other suggestions such as what software i s hould use are greatly appreciated. thanks!

14. BobTammik

BobTammik Member

Hi Sans

I use DVD Shrink and Nero (DVD Shrink will load Nero automatically after it has ripped your DVD). DVD Shrink is free.
    I also like 1ClickDVD even though some people don't - not sure why. I have never had a problem with it.

A number of friends of mine love DVD Clone.

Another very useful and free program is DVD Decrypter - very powerful.

Good luck - I am told the NEC is a great machine.

15. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Since the 3520 was just recently released, you won't have to worry about needing an offical firmware update for a while.

About the software. All you need is two freeware programs. Follow this link for a guide and the download links:
    http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=7984