1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? about transcoding

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by straubd, Sep 24, 2004.

1. straubd

straubd Guest

I am new to this specialty so forgive my ignorance. I have a decent surround sound theater system and I would like to hear some of my favorite albums in sacd (I really want the 6:1 channels mostly). I managed to find a few (classic) that have been encoded in this format but I also have some live albums(recorder friendly artists) that are not available in the mainstream much less the sacd format. Is there a software program that can transcode these albums into sacd. Keep in mind that I don't have a lot of money to spend and I don't want to spend a lot of time doing this. I don't have a problem reading instructions but I'm not trained in this area and I have too much else on my plate to throw myself into something new (a wife,newborn and a dog that are all competing for my time the moment I walk in the door :). So can anyone recomend a program that suits my needs? any help is appreciated. thanks

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Authoring SACD discs from home is extremely expensive, and requires a huge investment in equipment.
    The actual authoring applications can be ProTools TDM with the DSD cards, at around £25,000.
    Or you can go the pyramix route, with it's dedicated hardware and again a DSD card for about the same money.
    There are other routes but they are equally expensive.
    All this will give you is a DSD stream, and not let you actually create the discs. The stuff to do this is £500,000 - a cool half million quid.

To be brutally blunt with you, why bother?
    DVD-A is every bit as good, IMHO better. It is also affordable.

Stereo DVD-A using entry level equipment will cost you $99 for the authoring software, get as good a soundcard as you can afford, and work at 24/96 resolution.

Alternatively you could buy WaveLab which will not only edit all your audio but also burn the DVD-A disc.

3. straubd

straubd Guest

Holy crap. That's a lot more than I had bargained for. My problem though, is that I have a sony multi format (dvd,vcd,mp3,sacd etc) player. I'm pretty sure it doesn't support dvd-a. It was a nice thought though. Thanks
    Dylan