1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ABR or CBR?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Rylenol, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Rylenol

Rylenol Member

I am following the guide to converting a DVD to Divx with the 4:3 aspect ratio. I am at the virtual dub section where I need to select my audio, it says select 160Kbit/sec, 44.1KHz, stereo, I need help on this, do I chose ABR or CBR? And also, in the guide he says look for the codec that says MPEG-3, I only see one codec that says MPEG-3 but it does not say lame next to each of the specifications, I do however see a codec that says LAME MP3, by selecting LAME mp3 is this still the same as the MPEG-3 codec he is talking about? mind you this is all in virtual dub.

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes, I havn't read the guide but LAME is an Mp3 (MPEG Layer Three) encoder. Its the best Mp3 encoder you can find. CBR (Constant bit-rate) and ABR (Average bit-rate) are differnt types of encoding schemes. ABR will yeild the most high quality sound file or audio stream. So, choose ABR. Set your bit-rate avarage no lower than 192 kbps (if practically feasible).

Ced

3. Rylenol

Rylenol Member

thanx for the assistance CED, greatly appreciated.

4. shiroh

shiroh Guest

ABR, or VBR, but you need to play/ encode more than once to find the right size. or you can encode the audio first and fit the video accordingly