1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute best dvd-r media, and where to buy it?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by snorkel, Mar 10, 2005.

1. snorkel

snorkel Member

Complete newbie here. I have bought a ton of cheap generic dvd-r's during some christmas sale at Staples (averaging about 25 cents each). So far, i haven't had any errors on the 8 discs that I burned but the more that I read, it is clear that the best results are achieved at slow burn rates and good quality media.

I tried to figure it out myself by reading other posts, but I am still confused, so I will flat-out ask the question:

What is the best dvd-r disc to buy for burning movies?

I have been told that dvd-r is better than dvd+r because it is more compatable & that is why I am asking about dvd-r.

I have heard good things about Maxell and Verbatim and recently read a bunch of stuff about Taiyo Yuden.

regarding the TY, I found the following for sale Taiyo Yuden DVD-R 4.7GB, 8X, $0.45 ea., 100-Pack

But then I read a thread about how some chead TY are not the best quality.

So I am very confused now.

Please help me (and other newbies out) by simply giving your opinion on the BEST dvd-r media to buy.

P.S. It would be wonderful if you included maybe a link to such a location so us newbies can just go there and buy it.

I know, it is a lot to ask: list the best and provide a link so that we can immediately buy it.

But I would really appreciate it & hope to someday help others on this forum when I gain some knowledge.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Several sites have been selling 4x TY -r's for around 32c a disk. There is a question about the quality of those, even though no one has reported any problems with them yet.

Any of the 8x Taiyo Yuden brand disks that are sold at meritline, supermediastore, and rima are the best you can buy.

@bbmayo,
    Actually, supermediastore is offering a $3 off coupon for the 8x silver thermal -r's. Pretty damn good deal.

4. snorkel

snorkel Member

Actually the price quote that I mentioned was from http://www.rima.com/ (a link from bbmayo's website I believe).

The responses so far are perfect. Exactly the type of feedback that I was hoping for. Anyone else have any strong feelings either about brands or better deals out there?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

yeah the TY's are a little cheaper at Supermedia right now (also at my site).. I just wanted the link to see if snorkel was looking at the real deal.. He/she was :)