1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute newbie, Need to know a few things...

Discussion in 'PS2' started by bloodvet, Nov 21, 2003.

1. bloodvet

bloodvet Member

ok, i jsut bought a PS2 used, i unsure which version it is, but i know its serial number starts with U0, its date code is 1A and it has 10 screws on the bottom. Also, once i know what version what is the next step in getting a modchip, if I know its version 2, do i have to find a version 2 modchip, or will one of these universal ones work. Once a modchip is installed, will burnt copies of games run easily or am i expected to have problems loading and running? if you use a slide card or boot disk, do you still need a modchip? does it matter what kind of DVD burner i use to burn these games? i understand theres a DVD+R and a DVD-r, whats the difference? thanks guys.

2. SoCalSRH

SoCalSRH Regular member

- the serial number following u0 can identify which model u have.
    - most no-swap modchips are universal with all ps2 models except for the new version 9 which u don't have to worry about.
    - once the chip is installed (correctly) u shouldn't have any problems playing backups.
    - if u use a slide-card or flip top with swap magic discs u don't need a modchip.
    - it doesn't matter which dvd recordable drive u get... but some older ps2's don't read +r recordables. really no difference between the two just a format chosen by different companies for different recordable drives.
    hope that helps...

3. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

I really wouldn't bother trying to mod a v2. It's virtually impossible to get the power supply assembly apart in a 1-3 in order to install the one contact that is soldered to the reverse side of the board as required by all no-swap mods. It definitely won't read +R's and after a while probably won't read anything due to strain on the laser caused by trying to read burned media. As far as laser strain and media compability are concerned your best bet is to get one of the v9's (5000x) units as how Sony guarantees them to read +/-R's.

4. bloodvet

bloodvet Member

so what do you recommend i do to mod my PS2? or should i not bother? my gf has a DVD burner so there's half my expense paid for already... then its just a matter of putting in a modchip and burning copies... any ideas???

"Ther serial number you have following the U0 can identify your model" its a U084332x _X_X_X_X_X_[small]PS2 trying to do the modchip thing.[/small]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Sell it and get yourself a new v9. Lot less hassle in the long run.

6. bloodvet

bloodvet Member

how do you identify a new version 9 when its brand new, does it say version 9 on the box?????

7. nate956

nate956 Member

go to a website that sells mod chips, they will tell you how to identify your palystation

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

All v9's have the model # 5000x on the box. The x will vary depending on the country you're in.

9. bloodvet

bloodvet Member

considering i jsut bought a PS2 i don't want to buy another one.. tell me what kind of problems am i going to run into if i attempt to mod my version 2 (which is what it appears to be) should i throw the idea out the window? I am in Manitoba Canada, and we're getting close to freeze up so i want to at least try it before the electricity is shut down for the winter.

10. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Well, like I said before, there is a contact on the reverse side of the motherboard that needs to be soldered in order for a no-swap mod to work correctly and it's 99% impossible to get to. You would have to unsolder the 2nd piece of the power supply to get to it and I've yet to hear of anybody having success doing that. Should you by some miracle accomplish the above, you must use the top quality and usually most expensive media in order to get results and you're PS2's CD/DVD reader will still likely fail due to the extra strain put on it due to reading burned media. A newer PS2 is highly recommended.