1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute newbie

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by mnbc8djm, Jan 8, 2005.

1. mnbc8djm

mnbc8djm Member

Hey guys i have just dl bit torrent today woo hoo
    Anyway problem is when trying to dl scrubs from a torrent site i get an error, problem connecting to tracker..... connection refused.
    Have no idea what thats about.. have only been able to dl 1 file of scrubs and it saya share rate0.056 with an unhappy face is this a problem? esp as it looks like it will take 4 hours to dl 1 episode of scrubs.

Many thanks for any help and nice to talk to you all for the 1st time
    DamianUK

2. mattF099

mattF099 Member

Welcome to afterdawn.com, its become an addiction for me. Bitorrent is slowly dieing (*tears*). With the fall of the supernova site most other bitorrent trackers fell because of a dependency to the supernova site tracker. That would greatly slow the download because less people would have the file and less trackers would be up. What client are you using for bit torrent? if its azerus the share ratio thing is not a problem "for you" it just means you have downloaded more than you have uploaded. Heres a link to an article on the fall of bitorrent "the bitorrent effect" http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/5907.cfm

3. mattF099

mattF099 Member

Actually that article is just a recap of the good times for bitorrent, my memory of that article served me wrong, here is the article i was thinking of, sorry : http://p2pnet.net/story/3482

4. mnbc8djm

mnbc8djm Member

Im using Bit Tornado (i think thats right).
    why is bittorrent dying? surely it will just keep changing sites if it gets shut down?
    Do all the torrent clients work the same or will Bit Tornado only get files from other Tornado users?

Thanks for the post
    DamianUK

5. mattF099

mattF099 Member

I've used Bit Tornado before, like i said about azerus the sad face just means you have downloaded more than you have uploaded, which can be bad for other users, but is not a huge problem. And bittorrent is not "centralized" by that i mean there are more than one sites that have .torrent downloads and trackers, the problem was that most of the big sites relied on supernova.org and when they got shut down so did the others. I dont mean to say that supernova was the only site to get shutdown though - many were. There are still supernova mirrors that are up and running ;) but eventually they will be found and shut down. And it would be hard to just keep moving from site to site every time that the government/media industry decided to put their foot down because its a huge pain in the ass for everyone to relocate and recode. I like to think that bittorrent was and is a huge step foward in p2p and that mabey the next generation of p2p apps could address dependency on web sites and other extinguishable resources. Also torrent files can be swaped bettween everyone with any torrent app. Example : if you and i were downloading the same file at the same time but you were using bittornado and i was on azerus it will still work because the baciscs of the programs are the same, split up file, load to tracker, look for info from tracker, send to others, recive from others, repeat. Its all relitive. Also if you want to download faster and you have a firewall try turning off for about a min. (THATS ALL!) to see if its any quicker, if it is then check out this forum I hope this was helpfull and i apoligize my thoughts were kind of scrambled throuought this post.

6. mattF099

mattF099 Member

Damn I wrote alot.
    I read your topic : 1/2 finished downloads
    You have nothing to worrie about. it should be able to resume, sometimes a file can be corrupt if closed improperly but its most likely that when you restart the torrent program it will check to make sure everythings ok then continue.

7. mnbc8djm

mnbc8djm Member

Ok another huge problem!
    This morning after a few hours of using Bit Torrent i can no longer aces my computer...
    I have no idea what to do as it just gets to the welcome page and when i click on my name it says...personal settings... 2 seconds later ... logging out
    No way round it and now cannot get to my work.... may cry as i have work due in tommorrow and no way to get to it!
    Any any help much appriciated
    Damian

8. mattF099

mattF099 Member

Are you using windows? If so what version? Do you have a firewall and antivirus software? What are your computer specs? Did you try it again, did you freak out and start throwing stuff ( I would )?

9. mnbc8djm

mnbc8djm Member

I am using windowsXP and no my firewall was turned off as i couldnt conect to the internet with it on (recent problem).
    i tried it again but no joy..... even booting in safe mode etc didnt help exact same problem.
    No throwing my friend said he could fix it but i wouldprobably loose everything on my comp including all my (legal) music downloads and university work.. plus it means a 3 hour drive to isit him and get it sorted.

Damian

10. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

yeah your computer seems to have a few problems
    firstly NEVER turn your firewall antivirus of for any reason
    you would not open your doors and windows of your house and go out for the night would you?
    treat your pc like your house

if you could get your pc to boot up best thing to do is press ctrl alt delete straight away and find out what processes are running that should not be ....try closing it down ....this is only if you can get to that stage tho....

I think the best thing to do is take your HD out and place it into another pc ....salavage your course work what ever it is ......your music .....then just reformat and use this as a valuable lesson

sorry it happpened to you ......:(