1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute Nightmare!

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by MTLFrank, Oct 23, 2016.

1. MTLFrank

MTLFrank Member

I have a 27" Imac (Mid 2013) and just updated to Sierra... Bad Idea.. The computer locked and wouldn't allow me to log in with my password. So in my stupor, I said F-this and erased the drive, thinking that I had a backup. Boy was I wrong. I finally got OS Sierra loaded, but the fan was running at top speed and the top- back of the computer heated up so badly that I probably could've cooked an egg on it.

I erased the computer again, with intent to re-install OSX El Capitan - but it only gave me the option to instal Sierra again. So at the moment I'm installing from my original instal disk of snow leopard, but the fan still seems to be running at full speed... I figured by ridding myself of Sierra that would stop the issue.... Obviously, I'm no pro at this kind of thing, and am fuzzy with mac terminology, so any simple advice would be helpful....

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

was the fan spinning fast & the top of the computer hot before you did the update?

3. MTLFrank

MTLFrank Member

Nope... everything was fine before.. and I screwed up... the mac is from 2011 not 2013 because it came with Snow leopard installed but, they had just released either Lion or mountain Lion.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

5. MTLFrank

MTLFrank Member

Yes ddp. That is my mac. I do have an air compressor... And it was running El Capitan without a hitch.. After I wiped the computer I also re-downloaded Sierra with no problems... it ran that just fine as well.. except for the fan working double time and the computer heating up.

At the moment - snow leopard is currently installed... but I can't seem to upgrade to anything else through the apple store?