1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC3 2ch and 5.1ch....one or both?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by isuballr, Sep 8, 2004.

1. isuballr

isuballr Guest

I'm using the newest version (as of 9/7/04) of DVD Shrink to backup my movies. i have one DVD player connected to a 5.1 surround sound system, and one connected to just a regular stereo TV. when choosing the ripping options, i only rip the movie, no menus. now, here's my question: if i choose audio options of both 2 channel and 5.1 channel (AC3 or DTS), and no menus (i.e. audio menu), will my stereo TV play only the 2ch sound, and my 5.1 system play the 5.1 audio sound? or would i have to choose EITHER the 2ch or 5.1ch seperately, and not both on the same copy?
    sorry bout the length of my question, but i'm grateful for any help at all

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Different audio streams can be selected by using the Audio button on your remote. The question is whether it's worth it for you to have both 5.1 channel and 2 channel streams. In most cases, a 2 channel AC3 stream in the same language as a 5.1 AC3 stream is commentary (or some other special soundtrack). Even if it's not, 5.1 AC3 will be downmixed automatically for you so it's not necessary to have the 2 channel.

3. isuballr

isuballr Guest

Thanks vurbal. sorry for double posting this question. i posted it in one place, then noticed this forum, where i should've posted in the first place. thanks again.