1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC3 5.1 sound using VLC

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by elliott, Jun 6, 2009.

1. elliott

elliott Regular member

Does anyone know how I can get AC3 5.1 Dolby or DTS to work using VLC. I have managed to get AC3 working using WMP 11 with AC3 filter and it works with dvd & files but am completely bewildered trying to get it to work using VLC I do have an spdif out connection to my surround system. I really need this for some mkv & h264 files.

2. bobchew

bobchew Member

ive found that ac3 files including ones in dvd work ok on vlc.however at times ive found that the channel config is a mess..ie the centre channel often plays out on rear left channel..vlc is ok. but it needs help..eg its taken them years to finally adopt wma professional 5.1 audio file playback after me nagging them for ages..and them writing back to me saying who wants that file format supported? no one! well they've finally changed their minds.(ok so wmp plays them) also their mlp playack is still stereo...and after promises the dsd dff playback we're still awaiting...(can you do this without converting to pcm?).

3. elliott

elliott Regular member

I found the Fix its called GOM player does everything VLC does only better with AC3 5.1, spdif, hdmi playback, it will play aac but not always in 5.1 not sure why perhaps the transcoding but its way above and beyond VLC

4. bobchew

bobchew Member

thats helpful..vlc is ok..but it needs a kick up the a** every now and again.sure its freebie but its nice to get things right to call itself a universal player..foobar is trying to be universal audio player..it looks a bit drab i know..
    how many surround audio formats are there now?
    1 ac3
    2 dts (+ dts 96/24 + dtshd)
    3 ogg
    4 digion audio
    5 aac
    6 dsd dff
    7 dsd dst
    8 mlp
    9 wav
    10 wma pro (losy and lossless)
    11 aiff
    12 flac

er have i missed any?
    i'll give gom a go lets see how we get on..

5. elliott

elliott Regular member

I got it at ninite.com your gonna be surprised I certainly was

6. bobchew

bobchew Member

well ive downloaded it using your link..its downloaed even with probs..but the gom encoder installer has problems corrupted or virused it says..do i need it? or..which is latest version?

7. elliott

elliott Regular member

8. bobchew

bobchew Member

not that impressed with gom atm..ok the audio and video record is neat trick its similar to creative media source..player which records multichannel waves at 96/24..this gives you ogg too want to see if it records at 96/24 usful for conversion..let down is not able to load mlp ( creative and foobar do) so it tries to look up mlp extension for codec..then it gets stuck (not responding) reboot time.oops..

9. elliott

elliott Regular member

I never use any of those features simply use it for playback it in that regard its very impressive

10. bobchew

bobchew Member

ok, does it play flac files? ok click 'open' does dir doesnt list up flac files in dir, but 'all files it does..so load flac file..i get choppy buzzy playback...not up to vlc /foobar standard at all..clicked on audio record..as ogg yep detects the 96khz so ideally records same as input..just wondring if it uses 'how you hear' like media source if so might be useful as transcoder..will exoeriment with video rcord ..lets see if (like vlc) it will transcode video to formats..so far it dicks about and hangs..

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Have you guys tried The KMPLayer? I am pretty happy with it, more than VLC actually...

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  12. bobchew

bobchew Member

will give it a spin..i'll enduop with so many b4 long and all trying to takeover as default player for my stuff

13. elliott

elliott Regular member

kmplayer is great for mkv files my big issue with playback for Video files is to get 5.1 sound and none will transcode the AAC files to 5.1 AC3 Dolby thru my spdif and for whatever reason Windows 7 doesn't work as well with AC3 filter as it did in Vista. I build and repair pc's don't do any programming beyond the basic builds but to keep abreast the latest built my htpc using Win 7 which alone plays a wide vareity of files but only real DVD's play in AC3 so had to use Gom for divx/xvid files in AC3 and found Gom has issues with MKV and then found KMplayer which has very few configuration options to begin with but video playback does look great.

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I like KMPLayer because you can set it to use it's own decoders/splitters, or any decoders that are installed in your system, can set up for each file type...It has audio/video capture options as well, although cannot comment on its performance doing that, as I never used it. However, it is very customizable, audio/video/subtitles.

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What do you mean "very few configuration options"? I find it to be rather rich in that aspect...Well, at least for my needs, not sure what you have in mind...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Yes, KMPlayer works for me much better on MKV files than VLC(which chucks every time I try to FFW/RWD)

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  16. bobchew

bobchew Member

well i will give it a go..when tmobile stops blocking anything i downlod (inc stuff i pay for) i have video players..my interest in hi res audio stuff..anything on kmplayer useful for that?

17. bobchew

bobchew Member

yep as expected tmobile blocked it..after all its what you pay a provider for isnt it? to f***ing block everything you need like antivirus stuff you PAY FOR!!

18. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What do you mean, TMobile won't let you download the installer?

19. bobchew

bobchew Member

its an ongoing thing ive had..to do with bandwith..im blocked bewtween 4pm-12pm everything gets blocked even 3kb zip files! have to wait past midnight to get anything..as i said even £20 anti virus stuuf i py for..had to wait till 1pm till i got the thing.

20. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

That sucks man...where the hell do you live? Noting else available?
    I have Charter cable, their speeds suck balls too,can't get more than 1.5MB dld, even though I am supposed to get 5MB, but at least no band restriction. Just got a couple premium accounts on RS and MU, already have 400GB in the past 2 weeks...