1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AC3 5 channels

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by fatassa, May 5, 2004.

1. fatassa

fatassa Member

Hi ,
    I have a AVI file whith a sound ac3 5 channels (recognized by GSpot and AviCodec), how can i convert this file to a DVD, without lost the 5 channels sound?

Thnxs

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

None of the low end authoring programs I've tried can deal with 5.1 output directly. Even the $500 Ulead DVD Workshop 2. Maybe I've missed something though. Nero Vision Express can handle Dolby 2 at 192kps.

3. gnovak1

gnovak1 Member

TMPGenc authoring program can handle 5.1. You just need to download the necessary plugins.

I use it all the time.

Glenn

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

From TMPGenc'c site:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  5. MysticE

MysticE Active member

From TMPGenc's site:

Thanks to this plug-in, it is possible to decode and encode in Dolby Digital AC-3 sound (2ch)
    with both products: TMPGEnc DVD Author and TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress.

-Re-encode AC-3 sound
    When you are using source files with AC-3 audio, for instance, files made from a DVD-recorder
    or MPEG files, you can re-encode the AC-3 audio. And choose the track setting:
    mono, stereo, or dual channel
    (for bilingual broadcasting / used in some coutries).
    *But AC-3 with 5.1 channels or other multi-channel sources cannot be re-encoded.

What plugins are those?

6. gnovak1

gnovak1 Member

Yes you are right. The encoding is only in 2 channel. When i pull movies off of a dvd using dvd decrypter, i use the demux option to create an ac3 file and an m2v file.
    I use TMPGenc to create the menus for these movies, and when i burn to a dvd and play on my dvd player, i do get 5.1 sound. I know this because you can check what sound you are getting through a display option on my dvd player.

Glenn

7. euroman76

euroman76 Member

hey dude i read your message and i want to ask you question i have DVD decrypter also using and i have done demuxing please tell me i have FORTRESS DVD (1993) Christopher Lambert but its only in 2.0 channel, i want to make 5.1 out of it is it possible please tell me how, i also have TMPGEnc, thank you

8. gnovak1

gnovak1 Member

Not unless the sound is 5.1 coming from the dvd.
    You cant convert 2 channel sound to 5 channel sound.
    My method works only because the movies i pull off my dvds have 5.1 sound so its just a matter of transferring from one dvd to another.
    TMPGenc can only do conversions in 2 channel and not 5 (even with the ac3 codec installed).

9. euroman76

euroman76 Member

yeah that's what i assumed too, but just wanted to double check, question i;m asking myself why they dont do all movies in 5.1, or just depend on the popularity of the movie probably, thank you for the help mate