1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ac3 files versus mp3

Discussion in 'Audio' started by AyaJones, Oct 22, 2004.

1. AyaJones

AyaJones Guest

I'm trying to encode a joined movie using two avi files and the audio is ac3 format . The guide says to extract this audio using virtualdubmod . I've done all this but when I've gone to encode the movie using tmpgenc , I get an error when loading the newly extracted ac3 file .

Why ?

Can I not leave the audio file in the joined avi file alone ( not extract it ) ? What is the purpose of doing it . Have I interpreted the guide incorrectly ?

Help !!

Aya Jones

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

3. AyaJones

AyaJones Guest

Cool , Downloaded headac3he and all neceassary dlls and successfully converted ac3 to an mp3 .
    Played the file and it sounds good but tmpgenc won't support it .

What next ?? Is there another encoding app that is more user friendly than tmpgenc ? By user friendly I mean less discriminating :) I've tried main concept mpeg encoder but the app leaves it's logo in the top left corner of the movie for the entire thing .

I realize that this is a solely an audio forum but you can see what started out as an audio thread can turn into something else .

Thanks Shiroh , any other tips ??

Aya

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I believe TMPGEnc likes to encode its own audio.
    It wants to do this from the fullsize WAV file
    (AC3 and MP3 are compressed).
    Virtual Dub says it is saving WAV but it is actually AC3.
    Shiroh suggested you convert the AC3 to WAV, not MP3.
    He says the Headac3he will do that.
    I use the Azid function of BeSweet, it will do a 2-pass extraction gained up to -0dB, and you can control the surround downmix including Low Frequency Effects (LFE, the .1 in 5.1 audio).
    However you do it, you will know when you have the WAV because it will be 1000MB or more, easily, for a typical 100minute movie.
    Regards

5. AyaJones

AyaJones Guest

Roger that !!!
    The Wav file created was 1700 Mb ! Anyhoo you're right , tmpgenc likes to do its own thing and with the wav file in hand I had no problems . Now if I can only figure out how to maintain the same screen aspect as the original divx ... ( question for another thread in another topic forum )

Thanks a bunch :) The_OGS

Aya Jones