1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accurian ADR 3223 failed DVD drive

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by renhoek57, Dec 14, 2009.

1. renhoek57

renhoek57 Member

Hi,

I have a Accurian ADR 3223 DVR with a DVD drive that has failed. Since I'm a new member, I can't link to this thread, which is over 60 days old:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/520442

A few weeks ago, my DVD drive stopped burning to DVD+RWs and to DVD-Rs. My HD is getting full and I want to get the shows I've recorded off the HD.

I've tried cleaning the lens with alcohol (which worked 6 months ago), but this time it was no help. I also tried connecting the DVD drive from a 6-year-old Macintosh G4 computer I had lying around, but it didn't recognize the DVD disk I was trying to play (a store-bought DVD, not one I created).

It's obvious that the DVD drive is shot, even though it can still play back disks -- but only intermittently. The drive's drawer has even started to stick in the closed position. I have to press the "eject" button a few times while I wait to pull it open with my fingernail!

Anyway, my problem might be too old to get a reply but if not, can anyone tell me:

1. where can I get a replacement DVD drive? I don't even mind if I have to mount it outside of the case until I get the data off the HD.

2. could I use the rear jacks to copy the data to a Macintosh computer and into iMovie (I have a fairly new iMac nearby)?

3. is there any reason I couldn't buy a used 3223 from eBay and remove its DVD drive to burn DVDs off the HD?

4. could anyone recommend a replacement DVR that has the same features are the 3223? Except for not having a cable mouse (like many VHS recorders have), and freezing up once in a while, I like the unit very much.

I bought it in January 2007 as a $100 close-out in Manhattan and have used it to record and burn DVDs of TV shows and documentaries. I don't need it to do any more than that. I know a new DVR will cost a few hundred dollars, which I'm willing to pay. I just don't want to buy a unit from Panansonic or Phillips that will break down in a year.

Where can I find reviews of DVRs? Are the reviews on this site reliable? (No offense -- you guys sound like you know 100 times more than I do!) I'm just not very tech-saavy.

Thanks!

Ren in NYC

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

This unit is a liteon product
    It is relay a liteon LVW 5045 with a 80gb HDD drive and is much as the ilo RHD04 without allrite
    The unit will not operate without a reognized DVD Even if the DVD drive is defective but recognized it willoperate using th HDD to record
    Ther are some different drives that will work on all functions but are no longer made but may be avail on ebay.
    Many users of the liteon's or clones use the HDD to record
    The orig DDW dvd drive Did have issues and many have been rplaced.
    The liteon does prduce a very good recording
    I have one that my son in law has and is used for well over a year

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

A quote from my previous post
    “It is relay a liteon LVW 5045 with a 80gb HDD drive and is much as the ilo RHD04 without allrite”

Some may get the wrong impression when I said that Quot
    While correct in operation
    The Accurisn Is Compliant

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  4. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

If you want to sell the Accurian Let me know

5. renhoek57

renhoek57 Member

Hi LCSHG,

I ended up buying a Magnavox DVD with 160 HDD from Walmart. I'm testing it now, and it seems OK. At least I don't have to worry about the Accurian's HD getting filled up.

But I'd still like to replace the DVD burner in the Accurian. In another post on this site, someone gave me a suggestion to a (discontinued) Sony DVD drive on Tiger Direct: the Sony DRU-190A.

Tiger doesn't suggest a new, replacement drive, and I'm not sure what to look for in an available drive.

Could anyone suggest what to look for (I still want the FF function to work), or tell me a replacement drive that is sure to work?

BTW, this newbie would like to ask: what does "compliant" mean?

Thanks!

RH