1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accurian ADR 3223 HHD not working

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by ggha, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ggha

ggha Member

Dear friends,
    I own an Accurian ADR-3223. Since my DVD drive died I started taking the HDD out and downloaded its content to my desktop computer. I used to copy the files and then cleaned the HDD at the Accurian. Now I receive the TV signal but the HDD does not work. The HDD is OK and works with my computer.
    Do I have a way to re-set the Accurian?
    Should I re-format the HDD with my computer?
    Do Accurians have a different format for HDD?
    Thank you in advance
    Bill

2. CrazCanuk

CrazCanuk Member

Hi ggha, the 3223 is a Liteon clone, I assume that you always ensure to have the jumper set on Master or CS when installing in the 3223, if its set on Slave, it will not be recognized. If that doesn't work, I would suggest to try and erase the HDD within the 3223 under Tools (or something like that, not sure about the commands on the 3223, must be close). The erase command reformats the HDD. When you'll need to actually replace the HDD, you just need to install and Erase the HDD to reformat.

As for your drive, with a bit of work, can also be replaced, Liteon drives will work, the newer ones might not fast forward, but will do everything else. some Sony drive are also compatible as they are manufactured By Liteon, rebadged by Sony. A good recent Sony that might work for you, including FF, is the Sony DRU-190A, it was on sale at TigerDirect ($29.99) in the States and Canada, might still be on sale.

Good luck

3. NMILT

NMILT Member

crazcanuk--I have Accurian 3223 with failed DVD Burner and I noticed you said Sony DRU190A might work. How certain are you and have you tried one? I opened my unit, and burner envelope measured 5.75" w X 5.75 d X 1.5 h. Do you know dimensions of this unit?

4. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

I have an Accurian 3223
    A Bargan when Radio Shack sold them out at $99
    Actually I picked up 4 units some for friends

It is a Liteon Clone. [ Basically a 5045 with 80 gb HDD No Hack and is Compliant]

Any liteon drive or their clones for a PC from the 4x series to the 16x 1635 will work fine on all functions including FF. Newer drives as the 160 or later will work bu not have FF.

Any of these drives or there clones will fit in any liteon unit or its clones.

The last Sony drive listed was a 800a as a clone of the liteon 1693s

Its possible that some clones of a liteon drive would work when the liteon it was a clone of, would not. [Firmware ?]

Some PC drives are longer than a liteon but are the same in width and height.
    That extra length could be a problem. But I don’t think so.

I feal the issue would be does the Sony 190a - work at all, and on all functions including FF, if that is required. I doub't thar size would be an issue.

The original drive in the 3223 was a a DDW 8x series.
    [W = 51/4] --- [L = 71/4] --- [H = 11/2] --- in inches

5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

To Add

The Format in the Accurian 3223 Is the same as the liteon or its clones. It is Fat 32 with 64k cluster size

Don’t format it in a PC [ doing so will not harm the drive]

As CrazyCanuk said let the recorder do that. And make sure it is .
    As in the liteon units, The unit will not operate without a recognized DVD drive. It will without a HDD but will take about a minute and possibly another minute.

I really doubt the HDD is defective but is possible. Make sure the files are being transferred properly and the drive is properly formatted

If formatted in a PC the drive will not be seeen by the unit correctly and will most likely format it to its liking.

6. NMILT

NMILT Member

LCSHG--I have been reading a lot of your recommendations on replacing the writer in the 3223, and the Sony 800a sounds like the one I want to try. I have no qualms about performing the mechanical operations to replace the unit, but have questions about the electrical end. 1). will the cables be the same, or will I need different cables? 2).The software apparently addresses installing in a computer. Will it work for the recorder? 3). Will the double layer feature work on the recorder? Thanks in advance for your inputs for these questions, and any other information a novice could use would be appreciated.

7. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

NMILT

1) IF the drive is installed internally? The sane cables are sufficient. If installed outside the case You would need longer or extended ones and should be available at a PC supply/repair shop. They are a standard CD power and IDE connector.
    2) The drive Will function in a DVD unit and the installation is not covered by any software.
    3) NO Double Layer is available even if the drive is capable. The unit will not allow DL

Be aware that some drives may not be region set and refuse to play commercial disks
    They will have to be region set on a PC using a program such as PowerDVD.

While the sites given refer to Ilo or liteon recorders. The Accurian 3223 is a liteon product and the dimensions are basically the same as the ilo RHDO4 or liteon 5045.

Go to this site for info on the liteon / Sony clones and check
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html
    check
    DVD±RW Drives (Half-Height/Desktop)

Don’t follow any prociedure ot this site on region set. It is best done using a program as PowerDVD to do so

Go to these two sites for info on the drives to use and a replacement procedure.
    http://www.techolio.com/

http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/

Remember the liteom/ilo and the 3223 are basically the same.The info here is basic to the 3223 except the 3223 can not be hacked and is compliant
    Drives that will work on all functions are getting hard to get
    ebay can be a source. Get a new one if possible

A Note
    To remove the drive, the front trim piece must be off
    The drive tray must be open to rmove it. It is held by two plastic clips at the bottom and when released the tray can beemoved Straight UP

8. NMILT

NMILT Member

LCSHG

Thanks for the info. One other question. When I check some sites to price the Sony DRU800a they give me a price for DRU840a. When I look at the specs on the two units they look the same. Is DRU840a possibly a later version of DRU800a, and if so, will it work in the 3223? I plan to install drive internally.

9. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

NMILT

Your welcome
    I have replaced some 35 DVD drives in liteons or clones including a 3223
    I had used liteon drives from the 4x series to the liteon 1635, all worked fine [none worse or better than the other]. That should be for any make drive that will work
    I have had NO Experience with drives other than a liteon. Some users have used Sony drives and report success with some models. It seems that this varies from drive model.
    As said the last sony drive I foudd listed was a 800a as a clone of the liteon 1893s BUT this does not mean another unit as the 830z or 840a would not also work. Or that the 800a iworks as a 1693s There are some other drives verified to work on all functions and some while said to, do not function on FF So if not on the list it’s a crap shot

The units are limited to 1x in play and 4x in copy. The rated speed of a drive makes no difference

I don't know if the 840a is alater version of the 800a

10. renhoek57

renhoek57 Member

Hi all,

I have a similar weird problem with my unit: I bought a close-out 18 months ago and, except for a few minor complaints (no cable mouse, for one), I like the unit.

But about 3 months ago, the DVD burner quits just as it's finishing a disk, at 99% of the way through. It just sits there annoying me. I can't replicate the problem, so I can't troubleshoot it or work around the problem.

These days I can only get a good disk about 1/3 of the time. All the other disks are garbage.

I've tried unplugging the unit for 2 hours, but it still quits at 99%. Then I have to unplug it just to try again. I'm wasting a lot of DVD-Rs but worse, a lot of time!

Any suggestions? If I can't get it to work right, I'm going to buy another brand with a larger drive that's not discontinued -- can anyone recommend one? I'd really like a cable mouse b/c I have to connect through my cable box here in NYC.

Thanks!

11. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Renhoek57

What is meant by Cable Mouse ?

It sounds as the DVD drive is failing. I can’t see any problems when using cable with a digital receiver. I have Satellite and no problems
    Units with a HDD are disappearing from the US market. Many users speak well of the Philips units with 160gb HDD.

As said DVD drives that work on all functions are scarce
    If FF is not important A drive that is recognized and has all other functions would be easer.

The original post by [ggha] indicates the loss of FF s might be .OK
    The loss of FF with some burners seems limited to commercial disks. Not with those burned

As to the Accurian.
    The hack is for Analog MV and the Accurian cannot be Hacked. It is also compliant
    So from my stand point , While I favor the liteon and LSI chip The unit itself is not one I would go for, .excepting the HDD and was used in conjunction with a unit as a liteon 5005 or ilo 04 [used as a player]

To clarify
    he units I have repaired or replaced drives in were my ten Liteon/ilo units or some clones purchased for relatives and frinds. At No Charge
    I Do Not Service or repair units, Nor supply parts

12. maruzo

maruzo Member

Hi LCSHG:

You mentioned that to remove the liteon 813S drive from the accurian/ ilo/ liteon 5045 you must "...A Note
    To remove the drive, the front trim piece must be off
    The drive tray must be open to rmove it. It is held by two plastic clips at the bottom and when released the tray can beemoved Straight UP"

To claify, do you mean the front trim piece of the whole recorder unit? If so, then i'm having trouble prying it open. Should I remove the face plate of the Liteon 813S first then remove the front trim piece?

My problm with the burner unit is that the mehanism that holds the disc seems to stick to the round rim of the disc itself. I had a dvd disc placed inside the burner for over 1 year without removing it. And I think overtime the gripy meterial on the black mechanism starts to melt and then glues itself onto the dvd-r disc I found this out when i opened up the top black cover of the burner and saw the disc basically was glued onto the small black ring that was holding the disc in place.

Fortunately the glue stuff wasn't very adhesive. I was able to pry the dvd disc away. Subsequent insertion of new dvd discs presented no problem as the glue material wasn't adhesive enough to hold the discs and prevent the drive from opening its tray.

I still wish to try and replace this aging burner now. In case the real need ever arises I can do the swap quickly.

Thanks for you informative posts on this recorder. I've learned a few more things on this wonderful unit.

Much Obliged!

Mars

13. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

maruzo

The trim piece I refured to is attached to the drive tray and must be removed prior to the drives removal
    It is held to the drive tray front by two plastic pieces, they can be released and removed straight up
    The front face can than be removed and put out of the way before modifications to the frame prior to installing a replacement drive.[Don’t allow the cables to be damaged.]

The Accurian is a liteon clone and has the same basic size as the ilo 04 series

Go here for more info, while ilo [It is relevant]

http://www.techolio.com/

http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/

14. maruzo

maruzo Member

Thanks for the tip, LCSHG. I will save this post and come back to it when my 813S finally kicked the bucket.

By the way, which one of the replacement burner did you find to have the best performance (most accurate and error-free burn)?

15. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

By the way, which one of the replacement burner did you find to have the best performance (most accurate and error-free burn)?

--------------------------------------------------------

When used in a stand alone
    None were better than the other.4x series to the 16x series.
    A 16x will not burn any faster than a 4x.

A HDD unit is most desirable when editing and Fast Forward is used often
    DVD drives that work on all functions including FF are getting very hard to get
    If you come across a good one get it now.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009