1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ack Help! Brand spanking new PS2 wont boot backups

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Creepz, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Creepz

Creepz Member

Well I just received my new premod ps2 with a matrix infinity and basically its not booting any backups.

The message I get is the red screen with
    Please insert a playstaion
    or playstation 2 format disc.

Ive tried burning a dvd with nero6, it did not work.
    I then tried burning a cd game with nero6 and alcohol 120% to cdr. It did not work.
    Ive even tried a seperate cd burned for the cd game.

Anyone know what the hells going on? This ps2 is new and I know its chipped because Ive even turned the chip off to test. The company I bought the ps2 from are proffesional. so basically I know its on the burning side of things that Im messing up.

Anyone got any tips?

2. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

What version PS2 is it, what brand/type media are you burning on, and how fast are you burning?

3. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

who was it that you bought it from? usually they check to see if the mod works before they send it to their customer so it is probably a problem with the way you are burning.

4. Creepz

Creepz Member

The cd-r Im using are a packerd bell branch. And the DvDs are datasafe. I was burning dvds at x1 and cdrs x10. My model of ps2 is a v9-v10 I belive. It can handle dvd-rw/+rw playback and also it has the lower noise operation. So I know its a recent model.

To be honest I think the ps2 is fine. Amd also I know my dics are not so great but what I dont understand is that my pc can read the files on the disc however my ps2 will just not recognize them at all. The discs dont even partly boot :/.

5. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Are you using your burn program's disc copy function or are you just burning the game files to a blank disc? You must use the first option.

6. Creepz

Creepz Member

Copy? What I have been doing is selecting the cue/iso file and then burning to a blank disc yes. I will try to see what you mean by copy.

7. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Use the software's disc copy function to make a copy of your original. This usually works without any problem provided the originals's aren't scrathed or anything. Downloaded images often have problem such as the one's you're having. Also, what program are you using to burn your bin/cue images? That format is native to CDRWin and other programs that support that format are known to have problems.

8. Creepz

Creepz Member

Ive been using Nero 6/dvd decryptor and also alohol 120%. I will try cdrwin for the cd to see what happens. However on the DVD front Im still bafooled as to why they wont even partly boot.

9. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The images you have might be corrupt or it's the media you're using. Try a better brand such as Verbatim and see if your problem goes away. Also try a disc to disc copy and see if that works. If so, you're images files are corrupt.

10. Creepz

Creepz Member

I will try what you said. Thanks alot for the help.

11. Creepz

Creepz Member

Well Ive tried just about everything to boot a backup on this console and nothing is working. The dvd I was trying to burn is a demo of berserk. And I know for a 100% fact its not corrupt, alot of people have been booting this demo up with no problems. Plus I got the demo from a realible person. Tommorow Im going to buy some import games and some good dvd-rw discs. If the imports dont work then its the console - Although I really do doubt there is a fault with it. The poeple I orderd it from sent me emails before it arrived stating it had been tested and approved.

If anyone has any more ideas to what could be causing the problems then any suggestions are appreciated.

12. Creepz

Creepz Member

Well Ive tried just about everything to boot a backup on this console and nothing is working. The dvd I was trying to burn is a demo of berserk. And I know for a 100% fact its not corrupt, alot of people have been booting this demo up with no problems. Plus I got the demo from a realible person. Tommorow Im going to buy some import games and some good dvd-rw discs. If the imports dont work then its the console - Although I really do doubt there is a fault with it. The poeple I orderd it from sent me emails before it arrived stating it had been tested and approved.

If anyone has any more ideas to what could be causing the problems then any suggestions are appreciated.

13. Creepz

Creepz Member

sorry - double post.

14. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Do you know anybody with a modded PS2 that you can try the backups you have made in? That would isolate whether it's your backup discs or your PS2.

15. Creepz

Creepz Member

no most people I know just have a regular ps2. One thing I found strange is that I got instructions with my ps2. And it has a notice saying if you unplug the controller the matrix infinity chip will spend 10-15 seconds on a black screen looking for it. so I tested that and it didnt spend any time looking for a controller - which I found odd. But then again Im able to disable the chip by holding start when it boots. And it says on the screen that the chip is disabled. Its a bit bafooling really.

16. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

how do you boot your games? just stick them in and see if they work? are they ps2 game back ups or ps1? have you tried to update your firmware?

17. Kerdal

Kerdal Member

Did you just say DVD-RW??? Try some DVD-R... Maybe your ps2 can handle DVD-RW but test it at least once with DVD-R. I had a similar problem with my ps2. In the end I discovered the technician forgot to solder a cable. I'm not trying to say your ps2 is the problem but if you can't read DVD-R and you know your DVD burner is ok (Did you burn anything else with that burner? Movies, PC games, Data?)...

18. Creepz

Creepz Member

Well I just sold my preveious ps2 with 12 games a couple of days ago. So I dont have any games at the moment or accesories. Im looking to build up a good collection of import games and do away with pal games.

So basically all I have is the console and this ps2 demo of berserk. Also I sold my old memory cards with the console so I cant update the firmware till tommorow.

The instructions for the mod said the modchip automatically decides which boot method to use when starting the console. So Yea I just put the discs in as I dont think there is anything else I can do with the matrix infinity - apart from this. But really the console should be able to boot backups without firmware upgrades.

Could the lack of a memory card be the issue?

19. nelswick

nelswick Regular member

i dont beleive it is. the matrix infinity has a built in 512 kb memory so u do not need a memory card to update your firmware. it does have an autoboot feature but for ps1 backups and dvds you are supposed to hold down O i beleive (correct me if im wrong).

20. Creepz

Creepz Member

Kerdal - I was actually using DVD-R discs. If I said DVD RW then it was my mistake. Im using datasafe DVD-R discs. I have had issues putting 4 gigs worth of avi's on this brand of disc before - Infact I think these discs are crap. But I have also tried CDRW discs that I know for a fact are ok and they also have boot problems with the ps2.

If the game booted but was very choppy I think I could pinpoint it on the discs being the error. But neither cdrw or dvdrw discs are booting at all.