1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Action Replay Max with 3rd party USB drive?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dcstz, Dec 27, 2004.

1. dcstz

dcstz Member

I managed to borrow a 'backup' of my friend's Action Replay Max CD, and was wondering...

Does ARM work with 3rd party USB pen drives? They say you can use the USB flash drive to play media... whats the point if its 16mb only for media? I've been thinking about getting a 1GB "myflash" drive by A-Data for using with ARM

Also, in order to watch/listen to media off CD-R's, do I need to use the bundled Max Media Creator?, or can I just burn the DivX avi files right onto disc and view them from there?

Thanks in advance.

2. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

Most USB flash drives should work.
    Yes, you need to use the PC software that comes with AR MAX.

3. dcstz

dcstz Member

is there a directory stucture for pen drives to be used with ARM? I tried a pendrive, and I loaded the files (mp3 and divx) onto the root of the pendrive, but when i insert it in the ps2, it says "no media found on pendrive"

4. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

As long as you use the Media Creator software for AR Max to put the data onto your pen drive, it should work.

5. dcstz

dcstz Member

i dont have the AR max media creator.... -.-

6. bigmac999

bigmac999 Regular member

You do need it, I think it converts the files to be PS2 compatiable, or something like that.

7. NoSldrPs2

NoSldrPs2 Guest

Well, guess what???

My AR MAX CD does NOT come with any PC software (unless is buried somewhere real deep in the CD!!!), go figure!!!

So i go to codejunkies site to get all that software!

Weird no???
    It happened just with me, or it's everyone problem????

By the way, i got a Sandisk 256Mb USB drive that i've got to figure out to work in PS2 with AR MAX...
    I've tryed once, directly, without any "modification" or files add on to the drive, and zippo!! Nothing!! Nada!!!

Do i have to do anything "special" to make it work???

8. dcstz

dcstz Member

well, I ended up using the max media creator... the thing wouldnt let me output to CDs saying ther ewas no blank disc in a cd writer drive (when there was) and output to usb didnt work. my ps2 slim didnt recognie the usb pen - this was an aftermarket 1gb usb flash drive though.

I've given up hope on AR max now :/

9. johnim

johnim Guest

hi
    i formated my usb 2.0 pen to fat16bit

hi
    i had probem with 512mb usb pendrive i could backup the files from psTWO to my pen and transfere them to the pc ok. and also put them back on to psTWO memcard but had problem reading them on psTWO console only said it was currupt data.
    in the armax file list they have a @ sort of sign on them and they would show ok.
    i had a think and what i found was they were crunched.
    so use armax cd and enter file list then do not copy to mem card but uncrush to mem card and all shoud be ok.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2005
  10. dcstz

dcstz Member

well, what I meant wasnt save games, but divx/mp3 etc media when I use the usb pen with the ar media player...

Might just be my ps2slim or the pen drive. *shrugs* either way I've got an xbox as a media player anyway, but a ps2 media player for the living room would have been nice.

11. datatrek

datatrek Member

When you move your saved game to the usb pen, it automatically compresses the saved game to save space. When you want to move it back, you have to say uncrush the file to uncompress the file on your PS2.

12. NoSldrPs2

NoSldrPs2 Guest

Well, i've formated my 256Mb pen with USBoot, and it still won't work with my PS2 v5 and AR MAX!!!

Am i missing anything here???

How can i format the pen with 16bit FAT????

It might help if i could find out how are the AR MAX pen's formatted and what files they have to work with AR MAX...
    Can anyone help me out with this???

Is that i've bought AR MAX, hoping that it worked with any pen (as stated in several forums)...

I hoep it works, and prevents me from buying AR MAX EVO just to have a 16 Mb pen!!!!

13. johnim

johnim Guest

to format to 16 bit fat you need to use a pc and rightclick on the pendrive in explorer and format it there is pull down to fat32 ant fat16 which is called fat this is with xp

14. NoSldrPs2

NoSldrPs2 Guest

Well, my Sandisk 256Mb Pen still won't work!
    I've tryed with the factory format, it won't work.
    With USBoot, neither!
    And formating it with XP, FAT 16 Bit, it won't work also....

Any help would be appreciatted, since it semms AR MAX can manage any USB pen (see this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/1/123109), but i'm having a real trouble getting mine to work!!!

Help, please....