1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Action Replay versions?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by takotchi, Aug 19, 2003.

1. takotchi

takotchi Member

I need to boot an original import game, and I made a lil' slide card that works nicely, but now before the import arrives in the mail, I must have a proper boot disc.

I realize I should have ordered Swap Magic, because the Codebreaker and VGA boot discs do not work (the disc won't stop spinning in the drive).

So I need to know which version of the GameShark or Action Replay I should get. I notice they don't have the version numbers on the boxes any more. So how do I tell which one to get? So far, I've only checked Wal-mart, which has the Action Replay that comes in a dark blue box with a silvery memory card, and GameShark V3 (which I know doesn't work, right?)

2. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

The AR that Wal-Mart sells should be fine. The newer GS model automatically spits out the tray, which makes swapping impossible.

3. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

no, the AR2 in Walmart is V2.3 too.
    Which does not work.

4. takotchi

takotchi Member

So what version/packaging should I look for then? I've got a bunch of other stores I could check... Circuit City, GameStop, Target, K-Mart, another Wal-mart, Blockbuster, etc... they all carry GameSharks of varying ages.

5. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

6. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

What does the box look like on the older AR version that does work?

Reason I ask is that the AR that I bought about 4 months ago at Wal-Mart the exact same packaging as the one in the link above, yet it works perfectly.

I've looked around on the disk itself, and nowhere in the menus does it mention a version number, nor did it on the box itself.

7. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

when you look at te back (the side that has no pic or ect.) of the cd, there is a darker ring about 1/4" wide in the inner part of the cd.
    Read the version information from it.

8. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

9. takotchi

takotchi Member

Okay, how about GameSharks? I saw the boxes that clearly say "VERSION 3" on them. I know Version 3 doesn't work, so will any of the other PS2 GameSharks that don't say that work?

10. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

The version on the disk I have is "Action Replay 2, Version 2.30", packaged in the box that is shown in the first link you provided. I own 2 of these, and they work fine for use with copies of various flavors.

Maybe I've misunderstoond something; are you saying that it won't boot an *original* import games?

11. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

hmm..
    I have the same AR with you, but it won't boot anything.
    I have a V7 ps2 and tried 2 methods to boot already.

What is your booting sequence?
    what version of ps2 do you have?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2003
  12. Azathoth

Azathoth Member

I've got a V4 w/flip top, previously had a no-solder installed on it.

I mostly use the AR to boot CD based games or the CD Loader. AFAIK, you have to have to double swap with an original DVD game to boot DVD-R's, so I never bothered with it.

Fire up the AR, wait until it gets to the main menu, choose start game (assuming I don't want any codes on), start without codes, then swap the AR disk out with whatever and boot up.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2003
  13. Tyransour

Tyransour Guest

hmm.. try that for many times with different game. never work for me.
    Maybe it is the v7 PS2.
    Thanks for sharing.