1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ad-Aware SE and Ad-Aware 6 (181)

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by glenpinn, Sep 14, 2004.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there, not sure if this is ok to ask about Ad-Aware, but i guess this thread will be removed or closed if its not.

just wanted to know which is better, Ad-Aware SE personal or Ad-Aware 6 (181)

i have both programs, but not sure what is different about them.
    SE Personal detects heaps more adware/spyware on my 2 pc than Ad-Aware 6 does.
    i ran a pc scan using v.6 (181) and it detected 8 malware files, so i left them there and uninstalled the v.6 (181) and installed SE personal, did another scan and it detected 110 malicious files (all on c/drive btw) and when i tried to delete them, some couldnt be removed until i rebooted and re-scanned.

should i get a different spynuker, or should i get buy the full featured software that scans both my pc while they r running.

my sons pc gets lots more than mine cos hes a gamer and plays online games and goes to all the gaming and demo websites, which are havens for these horrible spyware bugs.

hope someone can help.....GLEN

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Lavasoft announced the launch of Ad-Aware SE on august/9 .2004 : it replaces the software Ad-Aware 6 it had been making since 1999.

Combine AD-Aware SE with a good FREE antivirus like AVG and you have good coverage.

3. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there.
    thanks for your help, i thought SE was newer than v 6 cos of the better scanning/detection options, it was so amazing the stuff it detected that v6 didnt.

BTW, i have the free version, i run it every day on both my pc, but its not able to run continuously on my pc to stop this stuff from getting into my 2 pc in the first place, should i buy a licence version to do this job properly.

on both my pc i also run norton systemworks 2004, with anti virus, and i run norton firewall on both as well, with winxp pro (sp2) so ijm pretty well covered all round.
    and speaking of anti virus, i just opened my pop email and there was an email there from a friend that was detected by norton (and quarantened) as having the netsky virus, norton is great, i have it on auto update and i only ever get a few virus attacks, bet norton gets them every time.

thanks for your advice and hlp.....GLEN

4. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Ad-Aware does not STOP ads from coming into your PC -- it finds them when you scan and deletes them.

And yes as I said Ad-Aware SE is the newer version that replaced the 6 version , last August 04'.

5. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there again.
    i just had a look at lavasoft website, and am going to buy 2 licence versions of AD-AWARE SE PRO

www.lavasoft.de/

QUOTE : "Real-time Protection with Ad-Watch
    Ad-Watch is the real time monitor included in the Ad-Aware® SE Plus and Professional Editions. Ad-Watch goes beyond what other security suites offer by adding another layer of protection to your system proactively. It runs silently in the background, watching for Malware/parasites that try to install on or modify your system"

the PRO and PLUS version have this AD-WATCH included, which runs in the background and stops this stuff from getting into the system, SE PERSONAL version cant, but anyway, i got 2 pc to run, so ill buy 2 copies anyway.
    thanks again for your reply.....GLEN

was told by a friend u can buy it and it will run on your pc to scan while its running, so ill give it a go.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2004
  6. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

I was talking about the FREE version that's available there !!~~ smiles -- The Pro version like you've read may have the background scan and suit your needs ! Good Luck.

Regards

7. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi jeanc1

sorry about that, i assumed u was talking about the full version, and yeah, the trials dont have that AD-WATCH option.
    i dont think u can get a trial of PLUS and PRO, if u can i couldnt find it.

thanks again for your help.....GLEN

8. dknapton

dknapton Member

I believe that with SE Personal they have removed the options to run at start-up - something I had turned on with 6. Options are available in the licensed version only now. Can anyone confirm that?

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there everyone.

i now have AdAware SE PRO 1.0.5, and it is the full blown version, also loads up on pc startup, and continually monitors your pc while its turned on and surfing the net.
    it also tells u when adware or spyware is detected from a website, so u can monitor the sites that are more prone to try putting that stuff on your pc.
    it is by far, the best spyware program of its kind, and well worth the money.
    the SE PERSONAL version did have an option to run at startup, but took it off and left it on the SE PRO version only.
    the only downside to SE PRO is u have to do manual updates for definitions, i cant seem to configure it to do auto updates like i can with my norton anti-virus 2005, so i just do the updates every other day, takes about 10 seconds to complete.

do yourself a favour and go get it, u will be very happy with it.....GLEN