1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AD , Why so slow? Why the odd link probs?

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by fasfrank, Jan 18, 2004.

1. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Is there a problem with the server? It is taking a lot longer to navigate to different forums and posts.

For example, when I finish this post, I'll have to wait for 30 seconds or so, looking at the blue background. Waiting 20 to 30 seconds for each page change is a bit frustrating.

Something is a little odd about any links I might put into my posts, if I put a space between the edge of the post window and the link it adds a bunch of non-link crap to it. For example I copied and pasted this Nero link:

http://www.nero.com/us/631898246033906.html

Well it took me 5 miutes to get back here and edit my post but the link seems to work OK now.

Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000[/small]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Our ad server went flaming down today for some unknow reason and still remains down. We've taken the ads off the site temporarily to keep the site functioning otherwise normal now.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Guess that answered my question. :)

4. fehrion

fehrion Guest

I've been having problems for the last 4 or 5 days as well. It takes around 2 minutes to get to a link from the list and another 2 minutes to get back to the list of updated threads. Each way I am treated to an invitation to download/install Macromedia Flash Player which I don't really want to. Is this part of the problem or something different?

5. dRD

fehrion: Hm, that's new. And during the last couple of days we haven't had any issues with speed whatsoever, site's been blazingly fast. I assume that ad networks are trying to deliver a Flash ad for you and your system tries to find a plugin to show that ad, which takes the time.

6. Nephilim

'resolving host ad.doubleclick.net' is where mine hangs up for around ten seconds. Tried every option I could think of in Mozilla 1.6 to no avail.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

At 9:20 PM Pacific Standard time yesterday (21 Jan) AD started acting up. Very slow. Its 7:28 PM PST (22 Jan) and things are perfect.

8. Nephilim

Mine's fine too. Life is good.

9. Nephilim

Just switched from Mozilla 1.6 to Firebird .7 tonight and Firebird screams! AD's pages are loading instantaneously. I'm now officially in love with Firebird :) Life is very good.

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

11.17 PN PST and AD is cookin! I expected the slowdown but no problems so far...

Hey Neph, Im going computer parts shopping! Your Signature has inspired me! Water cooled 3.06 overclocked etc. Naw just a bad-ass gamer for my son when he returns from Iraq.

Best Wishes,
    Frank

11. fehrion

fehrion Guest

It gets stranger. Revisited the site last night (Thursday around 23:00 GMT) and everything was fast again with no Macromedia episodes. However, in trying to login in order to post a message to tell everyone I found that I couldn't. Or, at least, login was taking longer than 5 - 10 mins when I gave up. Tried again this morning (Friday 7:30 GMT) and the problems were back but login wasn't a problem. By the way I also have this problem on my other machine although that does use the same internet connection.

12. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

I was having some troubles at odd, seemingly off-peak hours, but it appears to have been resolved. I too use Firebird, and the pages load great. The whole site looks very good across every browser I've used. The only complaint I would have is that the horizontal size isn't dynamic; the table is an exact dimension. This wasn't an issue when I had my old monitor, but it blew up and I had to change my screen resolution to 800x600 on this old p.o.s., and I get horizontal scrollbars. But now I'm nitpicking. :)~

13. dRD

Mattrage: The choice was made by us when we started designing the new layout and we decided that it is seriously time to get into this new millennium and stop supporting:

-screen sizes smaller than 1024x768 (I've used 1600x1200 since 1996)
    -Netscape 4.x and older, IE3.x and older

Since if you carry the weight of supporting those forever, you never achieve using the features available for most users nowadays :)

14. Mattrage

Mattrage Regular member

Oh, I don't disagree at all, like I was saying, I use 1024x768 normally. It makes perfect since to gear the site toward new technology when considering the tech-savvy audience if for no other reason. I just need to upgrade my monitor or get reading glasses. ;-)

15. Nephilim

fasfrank, That's the only kind of shopping I get excited about! It took me forever and a day to get it built buying each piece when I could get the money but I'm happier than a pig in sh*t with it.

Hats off to your son. Let him know there are people out there that are thinking of him and damn proud of our troops. He'll certainy be happy to come back to a bad-ass gaming rig. Half-Life 2 will be out in March for him to break it in :)

Take care

16. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thanks Neph,
    When he joined the National Guard I thought he might be filling sandbags for floods, maybe quelling Anti-RIAA riots with rubber bullets and tear gas! I just hope one of those crazy f**ks dosen't suicide bomb him.

BTW the site has been great for the past few days :D

And congratulations to all who were just promoted!

Time to think of some really hard questions for our new Senior Members!

Cheers,
    Frank