1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add Letterbox?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Doolitt1e, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Doolitt1e

Doolitt1e Member

I've downloaded a movie which looks as if it started off as a 16:9, and was changed to 4:3 leaving objects stretched. Is there any way to add letterboxing to return the movie to it's original format? I've done a search of forum topics, and found plenty threads asking about getting rid of the letterbox, but none about adding it!
    Thanks for any help.
    Doo.

2. androoz

androoz Member

Ive come across this problem... and worked out how to solve it. The only problem is that ive only tried it with PAL DVDs for now.

Use SmartRipper 2.41, DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc.
    After Ripping the *.VOB files convert using TMPGEnc. I will not go into detail how to use Smartripper and DVD2AVI. In TMPGEnc, if the video was 16:9 display PAL;
    1) Load the VideoCD (PAL).mcf template and then load the unlock.mcf template simutaneously
    2) Then press the settings button in the the video tab, in the size fields, enter: 352 and 288 pixels respectively.
    3) As for ratio: use 4:3 625 Line PAL, and 25fps
    4) Press the Advanced tab and set the aspect ratio to 16:9 625 Line PAL (if the video was originally 16:9)
    5) Press OK and it should convert into a MPEG-1 with original 16:9 aspect ratio

The only problem ive encountered (not sure if its because of this method or not) is that after burning it as a VCD using Nero, My playback on TV seems to have the whole picture a little too much to the left of my screen. But it may just be my Pioneer DVD/LD player. Any help?