1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding copyright protection

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by evilsatan, Feb 16, 2005.

1. evilsatan

evilsatan Member

I have just finished authoring my friend's own skateboarding video for his amature skateteam and was wondering how I would go about adding protection to it.

The people at school all know how to do a basic copy e.g. in Nero. But I want to add CSS or such protection which cannot be copied by using something like that, but needs more advanced software like DVD decrypter.

I am only selling these for £3 each so don't feel I am ripping them off and don't see why they should copy them for one another as a lot of work went into filmin, editiong, and authoring.

Any help or advice much appreciated, I had a tool for CD ISO's that patched them, is there such an app for DVD ISO's?

Thanks in advance 8)

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Ulead DVD Workshop can add macrovision protection to it. Not sure about anything else.

3. evilsatan

evilsatan Member

Thanks for that :) Will give it a go although I have authored the DVD already and it is in ISO format (took ages!) is there a way of adding it now or does it have to do it as converting video?

Any other ideas as well?

4. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

You are out of luck, all DVD protections are put on the disc at time of stamping, it cannot be replicated on a burnt DVD. The only basic and not very secure way of stopping people from watching unauthorised copies is to use a password menu (DVD Lab Pro) can do this, however, this will not stop people from copying the disc and giving the password to their friends.

5. evilsatan

evilsatan Member

Oh :(

Thanks anyway, I use that password already, it's very good, but I want toadd this so it cannot be copied but can be watched as usual.

Thansk for all help, will use the Ulead method in future.

6. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

Even Ulead cannot put macrovision protection onto a disc, this is just an option if you are using ulead to author the disc prior to getting it stamped in production. Macrovision is a licenced technology, and the manufacturers have to pay for every disc that uses macrovision, this is why it will never be able to be done by software.

7. evilsatan

evilsatan Member

So there is no way that I can add ANY type of copyright protection after it has been authored?

:( Thanks for all your help everyone :)

8. DSYF3R

DSYF3R Regular member

Well you could burn it really fast on the cheapest nastiest media you can find, this may still play in standalone players, but will probably give crc errors when trying to copy.

ps: this is not serious advice.

9. evilsatan

evilsatan Member

Lol, yeah guessed that :p

10. jbrich

jbrich Member

Do you rip videos? Sort of the case where the kettle is calling the pot black. How do you know your selling price is really cheap to all; its the same logic used by OEM product vendors. The price is never cheap enough. good luck with copywriting you have a lot of options to choose from. The accuser is the user, greed is a mighty powerful drug.

11. evilsatan

evilsatan Member

But how is £3 a great price for so much work? This isn't a bootleg of someone elses work, this is my work on their footage.

Large companies charge £19.99 a DVD and make bilions! They are aiming to make a little amount to cover travelling costs and maybe to get sum new parts for their boards. I only get a 10% cut for my editing, encoding, and authoring work, so I get 30p per sale!

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

evilsatan, There are some newer stand alone dvd recorders that are adding copy protection to everything they burn including home movies. It is called CPRM (Copy Protection for Recordable Material.) The LG6821W is one of the units doing this. So if you make a dvd on your computer and then wanted to copy protect it, all you would have to do is recopy it on this machine. Don't know what the cost is on the recorder.

Jerry

13. evilsatan

evilsatan Member

Cheers, that sounds good. Will have a look around, maybe there is an app so the computer can do it.