1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding more Fans - always a good idea

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mikeh0303, Jul 16, 2007.

1. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

I thought i would let everyone know the benifits (SP?) of adding a few case fans to your computer, after adding 2 to mine (now with a total of 6 including PSU and CPU) My temps have dropped about 7 degrees celcus. on load i am running at 38 celcus (not a big load). I will give a picture of my fan directions in a minute, let me know if you would change anything around to get a better temp, but so far its going great.

This is my set up:

CPU: amd athlon 64 x2 5600 w/artict freezer pro
    Mobo: asus M2N32-delux wireless adition

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Fans are always better than no fans, but also consider the fact that I can run all my games perfectly with my case fans at quarter speed. I even ran my Freezer 7 Pro at half speed. More fans are better to an extent, but they're not always necessary, especially if you're after a quiet PC.

3. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

the sound is still the same after adding the two (a little on the noisy side, but keep in mind my computer is in a metal case, then enclosed in a wodden desk case, so air flow is not great in there!)

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol no wonder you need fans!

5. mikeh0303

mikeh0303 Regular member

i know, it was ok for our original computer (like 7years old) but now for the one i made its really bad, the thing even has a back wodden plate, so its like all the air gets stuck in there and it just circles around hot air, i did get my dad to knock out most of the back wood but its still tosty in there

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Well my camera is broken so I could not take a picture, but here is what my PC's airflow looks like.
    [​IMG]

Sorry about the MS Paint. Anyway the front fan blow air inward and all of the rest blow it outward. I think this might me creating a vacuum inside the case. Should I replace the air duct with a fan blowing more air into the case?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually that's very professional for a paint drawing, congrats! That's the standard fare airflow layout for pretty much every system now. For me, change the two 80mms in the power supply for one 140mm in the lower horizontal position, add an 80mm fan at the top of the case and the bottom, and add a 120mm side fan.

Your airflow layout is also standard, keep the fans as they are. I turned my side fan around to blow out because I found it keeps my fanless graphics card cooler, but that's a special case. For msot examples how you've got it is fine.