1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding PC3200 1GB RAM modules

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by P2P2P, Mar 30, 2007.

1. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Hi all,
    I have a HP Pavillion t790.uk with 1GB factory installed. (2 x 512)
    The other day I wanted to add some RAM to it so I bought 2 1GB modules of PC3200 samsung DDR Ram. At first I just put them straight into the two free slots but when I booted up I got the black windows screen asking whether to boot normally or go into safe mode. When I tell it to boot to windows normally it just reboots?
    I've tried combinations of original 512 which boots normally, both original RAM and new ram which equals 3GB but won't boot and original RAM removed with just the new 1GB chips which again won't boot. I didn't think I needed to do anything other than install the new ram but can anyone tell me if I'm missing something.
    Thanks all

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

try them one by one.
    and the chips should have been 128x64-400MHz DDR400 PC3200, 184pin DIMM, 2.5v, Sync, CL=3.0 is this correct with the ones you have also check if the bios shows them.
    Try adding one by one some Mainboards like to post one by one.

3. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Hi dazila,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm in work at the moment but I'll try it tonight. When you say try them one by one do you mean take out the existing ram and put in one of the 1GB's or would it be better to leave the ram that works installed?

My system is:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prodinfoCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=441140&lang=en
    and the ram I got is:
    "SAMSUNG 2GB (1GB x2) PC 3200 DDR 400 Mhz SUPPORTS DUAL CHANNEL",
    so there shouldn't be any issues.
    I suppose I was foolishly thinking it would only be a matter of installing and turning on the computer.

4. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Ok,
    Tried them 1 by 1 but still no joy.
    Original 1GB works (512MB X2)
    Original 512BM works (took out 1 module)
    Neither 1GB modules seems to work in any of the 4 banks or in combination with the other RAM.

Normally I'd assume the new RAM was faulty but I've heard it's quite rare and unlikley for both modules to be defective. I'm going to bring both modules into work tomorrow and test on another pc but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to them.
    Thanks again

5. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Tried the chips in another PC at work but couldn't get them to fit which I thought was a bit strange. Obviously diff type.
    Anyway, I read elsewhere a BIOS update should do the trick so I updated it last night to the latest version and installed the extra ram and for the first time it booted into XP but crashed to blue screen after about 1-2 mins of running and wouldn't launch properly again. As per usual if you take out the new RAM and reboot all is ok.

With all Ram installed you seem to be able to boot into safe mode without it crashing and in the system summary it shows as having the full 3GB installed.
    I'm not an IT person (I'm not computer illiterate either) so you can understand this is really starting to annoy me. With the BIOS update alone I almost had to wear a second set of underware but thankfully it all went smoothly and the startup screen shows V3.08 (I think) so the update stuck.
    Everything is still pointing to faulty RAM but again I'm a little wary as I've heard faulty RAM is rare and very unusual to get 2 fauly modules. I think I've tried just about everything but at this stage I'll do a few backflips and a tap dance if you think it'll help, before returning the ram to be told it's not faulty.
    Cheers all.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

7. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

Hi dpp,
    Yeah I looked at those documents and there all ideal world scenarios, nothing about if you run into any difficulty. The third document refers to updating the BIOS which I did the other night. It definatly did something as after the update the PC did fully boot up to windows but bluescreened and rebooted after between 1-2 mins. It also sounded like there was a lot of hard drive activity before the crash. I've mailed the supplier but they have yet to respond. (Probably trying to run down the 2 week returns policy)

8. P2P2P

P2P2P Member

ECHO ECho echo