1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding .srt to .mp4 for PS3 playback sub option

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by jcord51, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcord51

jcord51 Member

Is there a program that will allow me to join srt files to a mpeg4 file and then be displayed on a PS3. I know that there is AVIaddXSub which works with AVI's but doesn't seem to work with Mpeg4 files.

There are so many great foreign movies available that are H264 mp4 in format and with various languages provided in srt file, and I which to use my PS3 to view them.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Give Yamb a try.AVIaddXSubs works with mp4 as well.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. jcord51

jcord51 Member

I must be not doing something right in using AVIaddXsub, but whenever I use it to join it displays as it is working. At the end it states that there is an error and could not find "name of Movie.AVI"

YAMB is a great program that will join 2 channel and 5.1 tracks to an MP4, but will not add the srt.

thanks for the help

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

What do you mean by "Yamb will not add the srt"? If Yamb does not accept it, it must be corrupted or something, something is wrong with the srt file, because Yamb DOES accept and muxes srt into mp4(I have done it plenty of times).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jcord51

jcord51 Member

Thanks so much for your help and for taking the time and effort. First I updated my copy of Yamb to the most current. I opened the software and chose the very first option, and sure it states that it will create MP4 with subs etc. I added my mp4 movie file and the English srt file. I created an output file folder and it created the muxed mp4 file folder.

I then played the mp4 file off the computer using Gom player and PowerDVD 9. Movie played but not the sub titles. I then used VLC player and it played both movie and subs with no problem. Copyied the file to the PS3, Mp4 worked great but no Sub. Tried three different movies with the same results.

I did do some research on subs and mp4 on ps3, it was stated that yes you can play subs but on Xvid or Avi format. Your sample looks as if it might be an Xvid. Thanks again I'll keep on trying.

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I use KMPlayer, and the subs show in the MP4(which are x.264, not xvid).

As for the PS3 and the subtitles, I don't know which containers support it.Depending what video and audio you have in your MP4 container, you might be able to convert without re-encoding(or maybe re-encode only audio) to something like an AVCHD which I know supports subtitles on PS3(and is possible to play it off an USB thinggie).

7. cindyci

cindyci Member

Google "add subtitles to mp4 for ps3" there are more than one solutions for you. Choose the best one fit you.

8. attar

attar Senior member

This thread is dead, it just needs buried.

burke and hare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.