1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding subtitels to dvd how?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Mega-Hawk, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Mega-Hawk

Mega-Hawk Member

Hey there...

I want to add some subtitles to a dvd but how do I do that?

After a little resource at the internet I ended up with these programs.

Ifo edit
    vobedit 06
    txt2sup

I have ripped a dvd to my harddrive and have all the .vob .bup and .ifo files

Then i open the VTS_02_1.vob in vobedit. Takes a few minutes and then i end up with a few .sup fies and 1 .ac3 and one m2v file.

The original movie size is 4.36 gb
    After I used vobeidit the new movie is 3.89 gb so something is missing right? But any way. I have downloadet the subtitles I want to add but how do I do that from here?

I found a guide that look realy easy but it allso said you need at least 20 gb free space... that much free space do i not have so any tip on how i get on from here?

2. Mega-Hawk

Mega-Hawk Member

3. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I don't know if you actually need 20 GB free, but it wouldn't hurt to empty your Recycle Bin, clear out your Browsers cache and free up as much space as you can. If you're still low on space then delete the original ripped VOB, IFO and BUP files after you've demuxed them into the audio and video streams.

With that guide, after you use VobEdit you end up with an .m2v video file and an .ac3 audio file from your original DVD.

You said you downloaded subs. I'm presuming they are in .srt format. Use Txt2sup as the guide shows to convert that subtitle file to .sup.

Then, following the guide, you re-author the .m2v, .ac3 and .sup files together with IFOEdit to make the new DVD.

4. Mega-Hawk

Mega-Hawk Member

ah ok now I got it... allmost he he

when I'm a few minutes in the multiplexing it say's "to many frame drops" what's wrong there? It don't complete the movie but I can se that my subtitles is on so I have done something right ;)

5. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I'm not sure, but I think the "too many frame drops" error shows up if the bitrate is too high. One thing to try would be to remove any unnecessary audio or sub streams before muxing.

But if you just have the 1 audio, video and subs with nothing extra then I think the only other choice would be to re-encode the video at a lower bitrate.

Otherwise, you could try different software to do the final muxing, maybe Muxman, Rejig or something else.

6. Mega-Hawk

Mega-Hawk Member

ok thx I'll try removing some subtitels.

Where do you people download subtitles from? And do they work?
    The one I just downloadet just run the hole time, even if they don't say any thing so it's a way ahead of the movie :/

7. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

You could use Subtitle Workshop to adjust the timings on your subs before you make it a .sup file. Load your .srt file in Subtitle Workshop and then Edit, Timings.

8. lazar95

lazar95 Member

How to add your own subtitle to DVD (keep menu, multi-episode, multi-pgc)

There are already couple of verty good guides made by TheMatrixx and Paddington.
    But certain program always produced errors for me and I couldn't make it work.
    So I tried to find my own way to add a subtitle and I found it!
    If one of the above guides work for you great, but if not, there is still hope.
    This guide will let you add your own subtitle while keeping the menu structure and
    it's also compatible with multi-pgc DVDs.

Tools you need:

1. Subtitle Workshop
    2. Subtitle Tool
    3. Subtitle Creator
    4. DVDDecrypter
    4. PGCDemux
    5. Muxman
    6. IFOEdit
    7. VobBlanker
    8. Software DVD player like PowerDVD for previews

Note:

You'll need a lot of hard disk space for this project, as you'll be keeping
    at least 3 versions of your DVD (probably 4). So I suggest creating 4 directories:
    "original", "demuxed", "remuxed", "reauthored" (I'll be referencing them in this guide).
    For multi-episode that's in separate .VOB's, create subfolers like "ep1", "ep2", etc. in
    "demuxed" foler and "remuxed" folder, and use the appropriate folder accordingly.

The guide:

1. Run DVDDecrypter and in File mode, copy everything to the "original" directory. Alternatively, you can use DVDShrink.

2. Run PGCDemux. Click Input IFO's 'Browse' button and open the .IFO file that contains
    your main movie (usually VTS_01_0.IFO, but could be different). Make sure the domain is
    'Titles' and that the length of the movie is correct. Note the PGC # shown here. This is the
    PGC you'll be working on later. Choose "demuxed" as your output
    directory. Check 'Demux video stream'. Click on 'Check A/V delay'.
    If the delay is anything other than '0 ms', write it down, as you'll need this info later.
    Click on 'Process!' to demuliplex.

3. a) Now if you downloaded your subtitle and it is not a .srt file, convert it to .srt using
    Subtitle Workshop. Just open it in Subtitle Workshop and save it as SubRip file.

b) If your subtitle is in a different frame rate, then open it in Subtitle Tool and in Change speed tab,
    choose the template you want and click on Do it.

c) Also while you are here, goto Check consistency tab and click on Check it! button. Make sure
    there is no error and all you get are the Info:> lines.

4. a) Run Subtitle Creator. Goto File->Open text subtitles and choose the subtitle you'd like to add.
    Goto File->Open IFO and choose the .IFO of the main movie. This will select the right color palette,
    video format, etc. Do the usual color/font selection and position adjustment. If you want to check
    if the subtitle will be in sync, goto Synchronize->Load original SUP and open the .sup file in the
    "demuxed" folder. Then you can compare the time of each line to make sure the subtitle is in sync.

b) If you want to do a simple synchronization, then you can probably get away with linking the first line
    and the last line then clicking on Synchronize button. But I prefer to use Subtitle Workshop and use
    it to add/subtract delays.

c) Remember that everytime you change your subtitle in any other program, you have to reload it in Subtitle Creator.
    If you joined more than two subtitles, make sure to check for the synchronization after the join points.
    If you can get the times difference of less than 300 ms, then you are good.

d) If you think you have everything ready, then goto File->Save SUP as... and save it in the "demuxed" directory.
    If you are adding a subtitle to a 16:9 movie AND you want your movie to display subtitles correctly on both
    4:3 TV and 16:9 TV, then you need to create two subtitle streams for each format. For 4:3, you don't have
    to change anything, save it as mysub_lb.sup (lb for letterbox). But for 16:9, change the X: ratio in Stretch
    in the right pane to .75, and save it as mysub_wide.sup.

5. Run MuxMan. Click on ... button and add your video, audio, and subtitles from the "demuxed" directory.
    Select ouput folder as "remuxed". If there were any audio delay, put it in here. If you want to keep the original subtitles, load them in the correct order (you can tell the order by the filename: Subpictures_20.sup is the first, Subpictures_21.sup is the second, and so on). If you created 2 streams for a subtitle, add the wide version first and click on wide button. Then for the next stream, add the letterbox
    version and click on LB button. Make sure that the languages of both streams are the same. If you have just
    1 stream, load it and click on both LB and wide. Lastly, goto File->Import Chapter and open CellTimes.txt in
    the "demuxed" folder. Click on Start. If you get an error, you can try Rejig or IFOEdit to remux, but they
    can't combine letterbox and wide versions into one stream.

6. Play the generated file and check if the subtitle displays correctly and in sync. Don't worry about the
    colors, they will be in correct colors after it's been reauthored. At this point, if you don't want to
    keep the menu, you can just copy over the color palettes from the original .IFO and burn it. If you want to
    keep the menu, there are more work to be done.

7. Run VobBlanker. Click Browse of the Input Folder and open the VTS_TS.IFO from the "original" directory.
    Set output as "reauthored" directory. In the title set, choose the title set that contains your main movie.
    All the PGC's of that title set will be displayed in the lower table. Click on the main movie (usually PGC 1,
    but could be different) and click the Replace button. Choose the VTS_01_0.IFO from the "remuxed" directory.
    For multi-episodes, you need to do this for each episode/vob. Then click on PROCESS!!. A log window pops up
    to let you know what it is doing. After it's done, close the log and exit.

8. Play your file, if you have REPLACED one of the original subtitles to your own, then your subtitle will show
    under the language of the subtitle that you had replaced. If you have ADDED a new subtitle, then it won't show
    because the .IFO's don't know about the new subtitle stream. So you have to manually edit them.
    Backing up the .IFO's in "reauthored" folder would be a good idea here.

9. a) Run IFOEdit. Open the VTS_TS.IFO from the "remuxed" directory. Click on VMG_VTS_ATRT, in the lower window,
    scroll down to the VTS of the main movie (in my case, VTS_1). At the end you'll see the subtitle information.
    Note the number of sub-pictures. Double click on the newly added subtitle (in my case, Sub-picture stream 2),
    and note the hex numbers shown.

b) Open the VTS_TS.IFO from the "reauthored" directory. Go to the same place and modify the values to match the
    information from remuxed video, by double clicking on the item you want to change. If the number of subtitles
    were reduced, you can zero out the removed subs. Click on Save button and answer yes when it asks to save .BUP
    file as well.

c) Close and reopen IFOEdit. Open VTS_01_0.IFO from the "remuxed" folder. Click on VTSI_MAT, and in the lower
    window, scroll down to where subtitle information is shown. Note the properties of the newly added sub. Open
    the .IFO file that contains the main movie from the "reauthored" folder. Again, goto the same location and modify
    the values to match the one from "remuxed" by double clicking on the Sub-picture stream attributes. Make sure you also change the Number of sub-picture streams in VTSTT_VOBS to the correct number or your subtitle won't show up!

d) In the upper window, click on the .IFO from the "remuxed" folder. Double click on VTS_PGCITI, then click on
    VTS_PGC_1. Scroll down to the subtitle information. Double click on your sub-picture's status. Press Ctrl+C to
    copy this value. Go back to the .IFO from the "original" folder, to the same location (PGC number might be different!). Double click the
    sub-picture's status and press Ctrl+V to paste the value. Again, you can put zero to the subtitles that have been
    removed. Save the file. Finally, play the file now to see if the new subtitle show up. It should show up and
    in correct color.

10. Burn it and enjoy!

by "bluedha" at Videohelp

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  9. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

10. lazar95

lazar95 Member

Sorry, but I got this guide on CD without the author. Thanks, but i really didn't know the author, I would sumbit him, too.

11. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

No problem. It's just how the guide was presented in your original post kind of gave the impression that you wrote it. Cheers!

12. lazar95

lazar95 Member

Nice to meet ya. Read my questions, they are somewhere on the top of the first page and, if you can, answer them. Oh, and, if you know... When will my status be upgraded from "Newbie"?
    THANKS

Last edited: Sep 20, 2007