1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding subtitles to avi files

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by sof2, Jan 1, 2005.

1. sof2

sof2 Member

adding subtitiles to a divx movie.
    i have made both avi & sub file with the same file name.when disc menu button is pressed avi shows as mpeg4 for the avi and the sub file mpeg2 when film starts to play and i press the subtitle button a white hand shows on top lefthand corner.i have tried changing the file to srt but still nothing.
    any help would be great
    cheers
    p.s.
    i have a philips 630 with new firmware 1109 ver

2. jaekriel

jaekriel Member

I know that if you use VLan , you can add the .sub file and watch the movie with subtitles. As far as permanatly adding it to the avi, or merging it into it or whatever, I haven't found out how to do that. Point being, I don't know how you add it to a burn or add it to the files when converting it toa vob that can be burned and then watched on a standard dvd player. You may be able to do that using WinAVI video converter. Just add the file. Good luck. JGGG

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Watching subtitles by playing a movie with your PC ---> BSPlayer.

Permanen subtitles adding PM me your e-mail address and I'll you a guide (didn't I write a 'sticky' post for this?).

4. jaekriel

jaekriel Member

Actually - I found an app that can do it permanately<sp?>

It's calle dTheFilmMachine. I DLed The Motorcycle diaries and the sub, used TheFilmMachine and converted it over into DVD/VOB format and burned it, Voila.

5. jimmymac

jimmymac Member

Hello sof2, just saw your thread, I have had the same problem, adding English subs into a foreign movie AVI. In the end I managed it perfectly using Virtual Dub.

There is an excellent guide (with screenshots) at the link below. (If that is permissable Mods?).
    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/87065.php#3

Hope this helps.

6. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

With ESS based players (yours is ESS based?) you need to enable the subtitles on the file browser before playing. At least that is my understanding.

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

You can also encode a movie adding permenent subtitles. This is what that VideoHelp guide (and mine, just PM me your address and I'll e-mail it to you) does.