1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding subtitles to existing DVD?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by kel64, Apr 3, 2007.

1. kel64

kel64 Member

Hi,

I have an existing DVD, which is already extracted to disk at this point. I wish to add subtitles to this, which are currently in a .srt file. I dont want to encode the file, I want it to stay in the original format. Whats the easiest way to go about this?

Many thanks for any help.

2. statsman

statsman Guest

Many of us have asked this or a very similar question. There have been responses that include several freebee pieces of software, but none have been very easy to implement and robust.

I would take a look through the older posts and see what you can find.

Personally, I think that this and several other issues are prime for a good programmer to take on and make a compact, easy to use, cheap (not free) piece of video software.

Statsman

3. kel64

kel64 Member

Not the response I was looking for heh. Thanks for the reply.

4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Adding new subtitles to a DVD, without re-encoding the video, isn't that hard to do. The freeware that's out there does a very good job.

Rip the DVD to your hard drive (Shrink or DVD Decrypter). Demux the video and audio streams (VOBEdit). Take your .srt sub and convert it to a .sup file (Txt2sup). Then reauthor the video, audio and .sup file together to make the new DVD (IFOEdit).

There's more than one way to do all that, you could use different software etc., but the general idea is the same. Here's a guide to give you a more step by step:

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=50196

5. kel64

kel64 Member

Many thanks, it all worked!