1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding subtitles!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by amund, Mar 2, 2005.

1. amund

amund Member

This has probably been answered before in this forum but can't seem to find anything that looks like a finished thread! Anyway the question is, how do you add subtitles to a dvd?
    I've got some dvds that only has english subs already ripped and converted to fit on a dvd-5, so is it possible to add subtitles in other languages to?

And to edit the menu so that you can see the subtitles you've added?

Please teel me what programs to use and how to use them...

Cheers

2. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

hi there,
    i just got lucky today and made my first dvd movie from an avi file, it was top quality and i chose the subtitles that i want, now about editing the menu, that's impossible, you will either lose the menu or you will have to creat your own menu, and to do that, i highly recommend, Ulead DVD Work Shop, it can also help you to creat your own subtitles, but, it will take you one hell of a time to do that especially if your're thinking of adding different languages.
    another software i recommend, but you can't do much about creating your buttons in the menu is TMPGEnc DVD Authore 1.6, and i believe it's avilable here on this website, using this software you can create a menu with 2 buttons and many pages, a button to play the main title, and the other to take you to the chapter's page, you can choose any picture and control the fonts, but don't dream of adding button for subtitles, but, the good news is, using your dvd player remote you can choose the subtitles you added to your movie.

now adding the subtitles, there is this guide here, if you follow it, you can create your movie from divx or DVD disk, and you can manage to add as many subtitles as the disk takes, no matter what language and i tried it my self and it's working well, so check this website and i hope you will get your information.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/197950.php

good luck

3. amund

amund Member

Thanks alot mate!
    I'll check it out right now...

4. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

hi amund,

lsn, i just to need to let you know, that i don't recommend you to use TMPGEnc DVD Authore if you're thinkg of adding subtitles of your own to the movie, the reason is, the software provides only 2 buttons for the menu, which means 2 pages only, one will be the main page for playing the main title, and the other one is to play the chapters, so whenever the menu is burned on a disk, magicaly the subtitles will not be recognizable by the any player, or any computer software, so note that, you must use a software like Ulead DVD WorkShop, which can help you to design profissional menus with number of pages and buttons you decide, you can use TMPGEnc DVD Author only to copy home movies or any movies with no subtitles.

Good Luck!!

5. amund

amund Member

Don't worry I won't be touching the menus! Just wanted to see if there was an easy way of doing it, but apperently there isn't! I'll just add subs!
    By the way, do you know where you can download subs to add?

6. SerpPsych

SerpPsych Member

well, check out these webs,

www.subscene.com
    www.subtitles.cz

they have a large library there ..

and hey, it's not hard to make the menus, the software i provided here is very easy to use, all u need to do is to be patient .. that's all .. and pentium 4 computer :)