1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding to multi-session DVDs

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by peterbj7, Apr 12, 2007.

1. peterbj7

peterbj7 Member

I use Nero 6.3.1.15, together with DVD Shrink and Any DVD, and I have never had any problems with this setup. I've probably burned 30 DVDs of all types in the past month.

However, for the first time I'm trying to add a second session to a data DVD I created earlier, and I realise I don't know how. It doesn't seem at all obvious - can anyone tell me how to do it?

A linked question - I seem to have lost the Help file that came with this Nero, and here in Central America don't have the original installation disk. Perhaps if I had had it I could have answered my own question. Can anyone tell me how to download the Help file for this version of Nero.

This is my first post on this forum. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

Peter

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

If

(1) you started the DVD as a multi-session disk, and
    (2) it has not been finalized, and
    (3) there is space left

When you put it in the drive and start Nero, there will be a "continue multisession" option under the "multisession" tab "New compilation" dialog.

3. zapatero

zapatero Member

Nero Burning ROM > New Compilation > select DVD in the left panel > select a file system (DVD-ROM (ISO), DVD-ROM (UDF) or DVD-ROM (ISO/UDF), the best option is DVD-ROM (UDF) > Multisession tab > Star Multisession disk. To add a session > Continue Multisession disk.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

he wrote,

5. peterbj7

peterbj7 Member

I have just discovered to my great irritation that if you press "Esc" when data is in the box it clears the box. Only message board I've encountered that on.

ANYWAY, my initial problem was solved - many thanks. I have a subsequent incident to report for reference. I succeeded in adding the second session to the above disc, so that both sessions were written on the same machine uaing the same version of Nero (6.3.1.15). But when I tried to read the disc in that very same machine it failed. I tried repeatedly after rebooting, and each time the machine just froze and crashed.

I have another computer with similar software so in desperation tried it in that. It read it perfectly. tried it again in the machine that had created the disc and it again failed. Back into the second machine, and this time I ran it against Roxio Scandisc (on an Easy Media Creator 7 Basic VCD disc that came with the machine). It ran for at least two hours before I went to bed and left it. In the morning it had finished, with a log that said several errors had been encountered and fixed.

The disc now works perfectly in the machine that wrote it and every other machine I've tried. Roxio Scandisc seems a very useful piece of software, though I've no idea what it did. But has anyone any idea why the disc wasn't originally readable on the machine which had in all respects produced it, but which was fully readable on another machine?

6. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

7. peterbj7

peterbj7 Member

But it works, and it seems many people have problems with some of the later versions. What benefits would I get from modernising?

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

9. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

This version is in my opinion the BEST version of Nero 6...you will have Nero Recode
    NeroVision
    Nero Burning Rom
    plus more

If it was going to cause problems the I would NOT advise you to update.

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

peterbj7, do what you want to. It's your computer.

11. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@Indochine

So is this another attack on me.

12. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

"Another"? You don't cope well with people who dare to disagree with you, do you? [edit: neither do I!] And your tone was a bit "Listen to me and do what I say!"

Anyway, it's just that I don't believe in upgrading software merely to see the latest numbers in the version info. Not without a full Ghost backup first, if it's mission-critical software.

I quote peterbj7

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  13. peterbj7

peterbj7 Member

Oh dear, what have I started? I merely meant that as I don't currently have any problems with my setup, I wanted to know if I would gain any useful functionality (without losing what I've got) by "updating". An obvious question - will my access codes work with a newer version? I certainly have no intention of paying again, unless there are some VERY clear and tangible benefits and NO risk. Equally, if there ARE such benefits then I'm perfectly happy to update.

14. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Personally, I feel that an upgrade to software that you absolutely ***must*** have working properly should only be done to cure a problem that you have encountered. I would definitely include such upgrades as firmware and BIOS in this. I do not say this because of principle or dogma, but because I have been caught out before by chasing version numbers. For me, Nero is an essential piece of software, and I would think carefully before doing it. If you have access to some kind of backup functionality, such as that provided by Norton Ghost, you could make an image of your OS partition, and experiment to your heart's content with upgrades, knowing you can always roll back to where you were before.

My own understanding of Nero updates and serial numbers is that you are OK if you stay within the major version number (in your case 6), but I expect that if I am wrong I will be speedily corrected.

15. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@peterbj7,

Absolutely Nothing, I have sent you a private message...cheers.

16. adriaense

adriaense Member

I HAVE SAME PROBLEM...

17. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

18. peterbj7

peterbj7 Member

Look, I'm grateful to Indochine for solving my original problem (though if I'm honest I solved it for myself in parallel by the same method). And I'm grateful to Gwendolin for her well intended suggestions (which I DIDN'T interpret as orders). I am able to restore my system in the event of a disaster so I will take her up on her suggestion and install the later version of Nero 6. Don't know about the other item she recommended as I don't recognise the name - as I said up top, I use Nero, DVD Shrink and AnyDVD only, and what she recommended doesn't seem to be any of these. What is NVE 3.1.0.21 and do I want it?

19. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

If you check out this basic guide I prepaired using NeroVision you will get a better idea...I am using NeroVision 4 but the guide works exactly the same with the link to 3.1.0.21, it gives you a few more options. It can also be used to burn MPEG and Divx files as well.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/356114/2104525