1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding to the Magic 3.1 DVD-R problem.

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dcapper1, Mar 13, 2003.

1. dcapper1

dcapper1 Member

I put in the 3.1 today. Everything works.

DVD Original
    DVD Movie
    PS2 DVD Rip (not Backup)
    PS2 Backup
    PSX Backup
    PSX Original

Except for the DVD-R

Now I had 2 units. Both the same problem. I thought it was the the laser so I swapped them. Same problem. So next I moved W to W1. Still no go. I have a partial clip. I don't have the one that goes underneath the board. I have the bios clip installed though. Now I have read that, that can be a problem but I still haven't read a confimation on it. I don't want to have to rip it apart yet again. Next I am using Princo DVD-R. I hear they are no good either. Well I have a Neo 4.1 or 4.4 (can't remember), still say its the best chip. Well the DVD-R games I tried worked fine with the Neo but not with the Magic 3.1. Continuing on with my problem my buddy has a Magic 3.1 and they worked on his system. I am really starting to suspect the bios clip but unsure. Please confirm this so I can rip this apart for the last time.

DC

2. cozmo2

cozmo2 Member

Trust me, it is the clip. I have installed about 10 magic chips with and without the clips.
    I only have problems with the clips during installs. You have to unplug it from the chip, clip it on and then test all connections. It takes me about 20 mins of clipping and unclipping to get all the pins to test correctly. Remember, the clip has to be unpluged. They all test correctly if it is plugged into the Magic chip so that won't work.

3. jr_

jr_ Guest

"I thought it was the the laser so I swapped them"
    You swapped the unit but not the motherboard?
    This may not be a good idea. I think the laser has to be calibrated to the main board.
    This is why there are potentionmeters on the laser assembly.
    If you could do this there would be a big market for re-built Sony PS2 drives. I think this is why there is not.
    You could possibly burn out your laser doing this.

4. dcapper1

dcapper1 Member

Ya I swapped the mobo, the drive and the power supply. I will pull out the bios clip this weekend. I just thought that if it wasn't put in right, none of it would work.

DC

5. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I have seen this problem in a magic 3.1 before also. In fact I have to on my bench that I am trouble shooting for customers(chip nott installed by me) and have found nothing wrong w/ the install. The chip isnt sending the signal very strong. I had to use thicker wire for the power and ground wires and make them as short as possible. That seemed to do the trick. The chip sucks man. Messiah 2 pro is the way to go. Only get 3.1 if you are a "baller on a budget" so to speek.

6. dcapper1

dcapper1 Member

Cosmo2 had said to remove the clip. Which I probably will this weekend. But the power, ground and reset are a thin gauge wire but about 1" long each. The ones on your bench, do they have the clips?

DC

7. jr_

jr_ Guest

Amen L-dubb!
    All Magics suck Messiah 2 worth the extra bucks.
    That's the name of that tune.
    I used 26 awg on the ground and power

8. dcapper1

dcapper1 Member

I have a Neo 4.4 or 4.1, euther way every game works on it. I do have to swap dvd-r's though. But who cares!

DC

9. pookeye

pookeye Member

get rid of the clip for sure, this problem happened to me also, the clip is crap... not worth it, as the clip might screw the bios in the long run, and that aint easy to fix.

10. dcapper1

dcapper1 Member

Continuing on I found this out. I removed the clip and put in a thicker gauge of wire for the power and ground. Guess what, no change. Everything works but the dvd-r. The only thing I have left for an idea is that the unit just doesn't like Princo dvd-r. But here's where I have the problem with that idea. I wrote these dvd-r's and they worked on my friend's magic 3.1 and my neo 4.5. The w wire was moved to the w1 as well. Any other ideas people?

11. jr_

jr_ Guest

Well the Princo aren't very good but when you say they don't work I assume you mean they won't boot and just go to the red screen.
    If this is the case then I don't think it's the media. It's the mod. Ether something is not correct, something was damaged or I believe it is possible that there are just some PS2's that may not work with the Magic Chip.
    I haven't run across one but there are many that just barely work.

12. pookeye

pookeye Member

well i would definitely take the mod out and put it back again, without the clip, using Kygar wires from radio shack, also DOUBLE CHECK THAT ALL WIRES ARE ON THE RIGHT PLACE, because that was one of my problems. also make sure u resolder the wires behind the board, as that controlls the DVD/CD part.

I DEFINITELY HIGHLY RECOMMEND MODDING THE HARD WAY, JUST NICE AND SLOW!!!

13. dcapper1

dcapper1 Member

Done it 3 times. I hope this doesn't sound rude, I just want to explain about what kind of work I do. I am an electronic technologist. I modify dish recievers making my own locks and using my own solder points. That chip has been pulled out and placed into a version 5 and the same problem has occurred. Unless the chip is bad, which I cannot tell without getting another chip. There has to be a better explanation. I used a $150 weller soldering pen with the finest tip they make. Tiny solder, 30 gauge wire (exept for the power and ground), and used a $300.00 Fluke to meter the connections. I see absolutely no flaws. Unfortunately I'm in Florida where the machine is and my friend, who happens to own modchip.ca is up in Canada, or I would get it to him to check it out. From what I've been told that if the bios chip is not wired properly that's when the dvd-r will not work. Most of the other wires are for the copy and region protection.

DC

14. dcapper1

dcapper1 Member

Never buy anything from Radio Shack, they sell crap unless you need a cellphone. Never buy wire or solder or anything like that. I use specialty component places like Arrow, Digikey, Newark, Jameco, and Mouser.

DC

15. pookeye

pookeye Member

welll the radio shack stuff worked for me, but dont get me wrong im sure it is crap, but anyways, after hearing ur problem, well it sounds like the problem i had on a v5, but at the end i ended getting a v7, best thing to do is just buy one on ebay, a broken unopened ps2, and just swap the dvd drive, that should solve ur problem, but yeah the bios chip is a bitch, i will admit to dat,

good luck... i've been trying to figure out what the problem was forever, and it never worked soo i gave up on it...

16. PrnMan

PrnMan Guest

Yep thats right pookeye.

I have installed more than 7 magic 3.x chips successfully on PS2s of every version except 5. Something is jacked up about version 5 and magic 3.x chips.

17. dcapper1

dcapper1 Member

I really appreciate all the help. I will be talking with modchip.ca tonight and see what he wants to do. I might just take the ps2 home and get it running and then courier it back to Florida. Last night I moved the w1 back to w and still no go. This is a brand new unit too. The version 5 was fine but a clip broke for a ribbon wire. Tried both dvd drives. So I'm at a loss. The only conclusion I have is that the magic 3.1 is a piece of crap.

Again thanks guys.

I'll let you know how or if it gets fixed.

18. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Try to see if you can get credit for that Magic chip towards a messiah 2 pro. Its no fun to install but the results are well worth it. I too used radio shack wire but only because I was all out of wire wrap supplies. There is nothing wrong with radio shack wire, just don’t scratch the shield LOL! I do admit that radio shack sells garbage for top dollar but God forbid they go out of business, where else would I be able to buy my garbage not to mention a 1k Ohm resister at 9pm at the last second LOL. RS serves its purpose just remember buyer beware!

19. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

The messiah to is just as easy to install as a magic 3.1. The points are almost the same and it only haa 2 more points on the board than the magic 3.1. It is more difficukt on the older systems since they are a hell of alot harder to install on. I get my wire online from wireprepne.com. Its great wire.

20. jr_

jr_ Guest

I don't think you can get a Messiah 2 from modchip.ca
    I think it is entirely possible that some PS2's won't work with the Magic.
    I agree that the Messiah 2 is not really any harder to install. The 2 extra connections are just more of the same.