1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe CS3 suite/Linux distro question

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by hagaren, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Your grammar stinks.

2. horus439

horus439 Member

Thanks Varnull I don't disagree with you, I have an XP system at the moment and not a single piece of software on it is paid for. No this isn't ideal, but is rather temporary - but Linux has a steep learning curve too. I mean I've only just come around to Opera for example.

I can see where you guys are coming from though, so in the future I will visit this site for help RE: open source stuff. I will look into FOSS graphic manipulation as per your suggestion, but to be honest I haven't heard of it before. If this the alternative to 'bloatware' like InDesign? Are there plugins that can convert .indd docs or are there work arounds?

3. varnull

varnull Guest

TBH I don't have a clue what .indd files are.. something bloatoshop makes perchance?

For starters while you are running XP you should try gimpshop. It's designed with photoshop users in mind and should seem very familiar ;)

There are many more replacements.. best way to find free and legal programs is to use a term like "open source alternative <name of windows application>".. in the case of M$ publisher you get http://www.carolsvault.com/scribus-an-alternative-for-microsoft-publisher/
    which is good.. and works on windows so you can get the feel of what it does and doesn't do.. as always with FOS software the community documentation is excellent with plugins and patches made by people who need to do things.

4. horus439

horus439 Member

.indd is just an Indesign document. I have used it for the layout and self publishing of book titles. Anyway thanks for your advice that gives me a good place to start. I think the future is definately Open source. But it takes a while to 'break the chains' in a sense. I have just moved all my music and movie files to PS3, and running Linux on the same box means I might be able to forgo the PC altogether for most tasks. But the office and productivity stuff is the last hurdle. I'm sure that soon my PC will be M$ free, and that my veggies will be organic, and I've already made the switch to some chemical free shampoo.. ;)

Thanks again and I'll drop by these forums again sometime if (err.. probably when) I hit any snags doing some compiling in the name of some Linux goodness.

5. varnull

varnull Guest

You are welcome.. YDL is a variant of fedora, so the pre compiled binaries for that should work with it, or there is a guide on the ubuntu forums to upgrade to ubuntu 7.10 which may be better for more cutting edge applications.

I'm pretty sure you will manage to find open source alternatives for most types of applications. Any that refuse, or have unsupported (closed) file formats may well run using wine which allows some windows programs to work on linux.

If you get really stuck start a thread with the specific problem and I'm sure one of us will come to your rescue ;)

enjoy.. and thanks for the thanks.

6. horus439

horus439 Member

Well Varnull I must of learned something because I am now downloading an .iso of Unbuntu 7.10. Hell I might even buy a book or something!

Anyway I will try first to install it on a separate hard disk as a bootable, and configure it so the explorer can mine the other partitions. I have a FAT32 drive but effin windows limited the partition to 32 Gig, can I partition the remaining 5 Gigs or so and do that? Which file system is best?

My plan is to get Unbuntu working as a master administrator and choke XP off an internet connection, so it can't go online and do it's dirty deeds. I start to sweat when the Adobe Updater goes online and starts downloading, I have to go and shut it off. I mean I feel like yelling F**K off because everything works just fine thank you.

Anyway wish me luck and if you have any tips to offer that would be great. Thanks again.

7. horus439

horus439 Member

Just want to add that any mod can move this to a new thread if they feel it is appropriate. Thanks!

8. varnull

varnull Guest

You run xp on fat32??

That's ok.. just partition the 5 gigs you have spare with the ubuntu disk, then follow the partitioner and installer.. it will find your xp installation and set you up to dual boot, though 5 gigs is a little small for ubuntu.

One advantage of fat32.. linux can read and write to it quite happily.. so there is one less headache.

You can kill xp's internet capabilities by setting it an invalid ip in control panel&#8594;network connections&#8594;propreties or just disabling the network device.

Hopefully the ubuntu people will have the repositories fixed by the time you get it running.. last time I booted the one and only ubuntu machine here there was a little update problem which I gave them some hard times about.

It will complain about a network cable being unplugged.. but who cares eh?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  9. horus439

horus439 Member

Hey Varnull - I'll keep you posted with my progress. I have an external drive with two FAT32 partitions because my YDL PS3 can read those. But I clean installed Ubuntu 7.04 off a live DVD that came with the official Ubuntu book 7.04. Now I think I will create a 15 Gig partion, NTFS, on the native drive and get windows to install itself into that and be limited in that partition. Then choke it off a network and I can install whatever I want into it, and hell if I can freeze the system clock (use regedit?) then I will do that. When you have some Linux experience you can appreciate how Viral the damn M$ OS is. Have to say I'm damn impressed with the transfer copying times under Ubuntu.

Can you then use Wine to source that partition from Ubuntu and work better? Also is there a command line setting to boot in Kubuntu? I installed both and now I don't get an option to change from KDE to GNOME when I switch user. Also do you have any advice RE: the boot record because I don't want windows to scrub it and have to use the boot CD for Ubuntu if I don't have to. Again Thanks for your assistance.

10. varnull

varnull Guest

If you install xp second it will screw up your bootloader.. so you will need to either save your MBR, edit it and restore after.. or use the grub mega disk which is around and reinstall grub and manually configure your boot sequence.

NTFS just adds a level of complication that you really don't need... there isn't anything that xp will do that linux will not unless we are talking games.

Start a new thread with questions like bootloaders and stuff.. I don't run either ubuntu or kubuntu so I'm not really the right person to ask about specifics like changing the desktop.

11. horus439

horus439 Member

Hey Varnull, I'm running Ubuntu quite happily now, but only because I'm running shorewall, and set up a secured partition array on my main desktop. I had a big problem when a Microsoft client intrusion scrubbed all the data on my drives. I'm taking an external drive to Seagate for data recovery after a M$ hacker took control of a network client address, done through XP, and then they hacked the Ubuntu partitions. You can PM me at *removed* for more info, otherwise this account should be scrubbed because it's too easily traced.

All because I wanted to set up my desktop the way I wanted! Unbelievable. Anyway I'm really happy with my Linux OS, so thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  12. horus439

horus439 Member

Any Mod can close this thread now - unless they want it to stay as a warning to others!!

13. varnull

varnull Guest

Somebody hacked your XP and then exploited your ubuntu?? wowzers.. That's bad luck. It is all to do with a bit of a security hole in ubuntu... If you look carefully you can find your installation master password in a plain text file which is pretty much globally readable.
    It's why most of us don't really like ubuntu. They should have fixed it, but they haven't.

If you want to chat you can find some of us from here in irc.villageirc.net #linux-chat .. ;)