1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ADOBE PREMIER MPEG2 ENCODING PROBLEM

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Kinasta, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Kinasta

Kinasta Guest

I cant open up MPEG2 files in Premier. I am editing a dvd that I ripped and after using dvd2avi and TMPENC to put it into MPEG2 it wont open up in Adobe. I know Adobe recognizes MPEG2 so what is the problem. Does anyone know anyhting about MPEG2 files in premier? Please help

2. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

premier does NOT recognise mpeg2...either convert to avi from your vob using tmpg or put the mpeg2 back into tmpg and convert it into an avi...or..in dvd2avi instead of "save project" do "save as avi"

Last edited: Jun 12, 2002
  3. Kinasta

Kinasta Guest

I have opened up MPEG2 in premiere via import. Is there a plugin for premiere that recognizes MPEG2 files. I would find it hard to belive there is not.

4. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

there is not...go look around on the adobe website and see...also look at the premier forums.

5. Kinasta

Kinasta Guest

when I do save as avi it doesnt work. Also when I convert the mpeg2 to avi there is an error. I think the file gets too large. I know I have opened up MPEG2 in Premier. I am positive. I was doing it last week. What do you think the best quality video import is for premier.

6. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

the best quality is "uncompressed avi"premier accepts avi as long as its not a divx.
    if you compress your avi with a codec called "huffy uv" it wont be too big..obviously if you are converting an mpeg2 to avi its not going to be the best quality cause you will be going backwards ..but it should work...save your avi as 704x480 30fps "huffy uv" and save the sound as a "wav".

7. zeppage2

zeppage2 Member

Yes, you are most likely creating file sizes greater than the 2GB limit (approx 9 min 30 sec).

You will need to convert each vob separately using the source window in tmpgenc, being certain that the TIME of the clip doesn't exceed 9 min 20 sec.

Find a recognizable straight cut in your source near this time restraint; create an out point shortly after the straight cut and convert to avi. For the next section, choose the in point as before this straight cut, determine the next straight cut another 9 min, create an out point shortly thereafter and convert.

Simply continue until completion.

It is best to encode a very short section of the source to ensure the codec chosen will import into Premiere and maintain sync.

8. Kinasta

Kinasta Guest

One final question. If I want to use avi and huffy uv as a codec will the quality be very high. Eventually I want to put the final product onto a dvd using dvd r. I am only concerned about quality. Are there any other video editing programs that recognize MPEG2. All I need to do is simple cuts and some transitions. Thanks for all the info you have given me, it has been a great help.

9. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

huffy uv is a "lossless" codec..it makes the file size smaller and thats all.

10. Kinasta

Kinasta Guest

yes but is avi comparable to mpeg2 in quality. Also can I convert my final avi movie into MPEG2 and press to dvd?

11. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

quote"is avi comparable to mpeg2 in quality"
    no..uncompressed avi is way better..mpeg 2 is a compressed format..and if you are going to change an mpeg2 into avi and then edit it and then recompress it to mpeg2..it will obviously be worse then the original file.

12. Kinasta

Kinasta Guest

so if i convert the vob to avi -- edit -- and then convert to mpeg2 it will at least be mpeg2.

13. luisifer

luisifer Member

OK, you should not be editing your mpeg2 file in premier cuz mpeg files are not meant to be edited and you will have to have the edited file re-encoded to output it then you will loose lots of quality, what you should do is make your d2v progect file and your wav file then load them into "tmpgenc" then do your settings then go to "file" then "save project" then take the "tpr" project file from Tmpgenc and load it into a program called"vfapi converter" it will make a psudo avi file for you then you can load the psudo avi file into premier and then do your editing then you can either export the file from premier to a premier mpeg encoder plugin like LSX or there is a export plugin so you can export it to tmpgenc but that will take a long time so what i would do is render the edited file to avi with maybe a good quality mpeg4 codec or divx if you can ,then encode the avi with tmpgenc..But any time you need to import a mpeg file into a program that does not support mpeg files you can use the "vfapi converter" to make a psudo avi file..It is probably the best easiest and fastest mpeg frame server..

14. gat2drgn

gat2drgn Member

Microsoft is notorious for using other peoples formats.. I know this sounds really dumb, but take your mpeg2 file and re-name it mpeg2.avi.. and see what happens when you try to import into premier.. I have tried this befor and it actualy worked.. but not with mpeg2..