1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adobe premier wont detect my capture card

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by badboy187, Oct 23, 2003.

1. badboy187

badboy187 Member

hello im having probs when trying to capture anolog video of my video camera using adobe premiere pro. It seems that adobe just doesnt dtect my card at all and only seems to detect the firewire connection. Im not sure but could it be that my card is just not supported by the adobe software. My card is a mercury tv tuner card. If it is cos adobe doesnt support my card what software can i get cheers.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I know that Adobe Premier Pro 7 doesn"t support any Analog capture cards...For captureing from an analog source there are a Few good Free programs Like "virtual Dub" or "Virtual VCR" or "IU_VCR"...Cheers

3. nograde1

nograde1 Member

can you use virtualdub if you want to transfer VHS to DVD? I have Roxio videowave and I just need a program that will capture with my Dell breakout box without dropping so many darn frames. Any ideas?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

When it comes to Dropped frames it usually has nothing or very little to do with the Software you are useing to capture..It usually has to do with a hardware config Problem..Like for Full Resolution Video capture you should have a Seperate Defragmented fast Hard drive for Captureing to, and use a Codec that does not use a Lot of CPU power and doesn"t compress to much..Some of the 2 best codecs for captureing from an analogue source are "HuffyUV" which is probably the best because it is considered Lossless ,which means there is no Quality loss through Compression, and the Other is called the "PicVideo Mjpeg Codec" which produce very good Quality captures and uses very little CPU Power...And you should allways try to capture in YUV or YV12 or YUY2 Colorspace and Not RGB Colorspace because most capture cards capture in a YUV Type colorspace and if you choose RGB as your capture colorspace then the codec has to convert the Yuv to RGB which uses a Lot of Extra CPU Power which can cause Dropped Frames..well good Luck

5. nograde1

nograde1 Member

Thanks...can I use just HUFFY with my HD or do I really need a seperate HD. I have 122 of 186 gig free now with p4 2g cpu and 1gig ram.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well It is Best to Have a seperate Hard drive for capture Because when captureing to a Drive that your OS is Installed on you can drop frames when the System as to access the Disk...I find it good to Have a Small Drive Like 40gb for System files and your OS and then a Fast Big drive Like a 120gb or 160gb for Video capture..I actually use a 120gb Maxtor ata/133 drive as My Master drive and a 160gb ata/133 for Video Capture and Video files...I actually got a really good deal on the Maxtor 160gb Drive ,I got it Brand new on E-bay for $79 US...HuffyUV uses a Lot of Disk Space so it is good to Have a dedicated drive, But you Might be able to get away with not dropping Frames if you tried the "PicVideo-Mjpeg codec" it uses about half the Disk space and Bandwidth as Huffyuv and Produces very good Quality when set to 19 or 20 Quality...If you want to try this Codec then Message me with your E-Mail address and I"ll send you the Full version of the Codec...Cheers

7. nograde1

nograde1 Member

I want to reduce the amount of processes running in XP pro when I capture. what is the minimum I need to function?

8. nograde1

nograde1 Member

does virtualdub capture better then roxio? can they be used together?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Virtual Dub works really good with some Capture cards Mainly BT8*8 Type cards ,But it has Problems with other Newer Type cards Because V-Dub uses VFW Drivers were most newer cards use WDM Drivers...I find for Newer Cards that use WDM Drivers Programs Like "Virtual VCR" and "IU_VCR" Work very Well...Virtual VCR is freeware and it worth checking out...Cheers