1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advanced DVD authoring: multiple DVDs to 1 DVD

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kyo28, Sep 3, 2004.

1. kyo28

kyo28 Member

I have a question about advanced DVD authoring (how to go about it and which software to use). Here's the situation:
    I have a TV series on DVD, but they put only 1 or 2 episodes per DVD, which is very inconvenient (constant disc swapping). So I want to put 2-3 DVD's (of 30-45 minutes each) on one DVD. I'd like to do it so that I can put in a menu I created to select a DVD (I'll use cover scans), and then I should get the menu of the original DVD I selected.

Simply put: copy 2-3 DVD's on 1, with an additional menu to switch between the DVD's

Any suggestions?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well you would have to use one of the Other DVD formats because you will Not be able to Put 3 DVD"s on One DVD useing the Full D1 DVD Standard....

When useing the Half D1 Format you can get about 4 or 5 Hours of SVCD Quality video on a Single DVD-R...When useing the Sif/Cif DVD Format you can get 6 to 8 hours of VCD quality Video on each DVD....

The Half D1 Format uses a Resolution of 352+480 NTSC and 352+576 Pal and when useing a Video Bitrate of 2350kbs and an audio Bitrate of 192kbs you can Get 4 Hours on a DVD...

The Sif/Cif Format uses a Resolution of 352+240 NTSC and 352+288 Pal (the same as VCD) and when useing a Video Bitrate of 1500kbs and an audio Bitrate of 192kbs you can fit 6 Hours of Video on each DVD....

So to do this you are going to Need a good Quality mpeg2 encoder like Tmpgenc or the MainConcept encoder and you are going to need a DVD authoring Program so you can add your Menu"s and Chapters and to author the files to DVD..For doing this I suggest useing "DVDLab" as it will do what you need done and it supports the other DVD formats....

This is Not an easy thing to do if you have never worked with an mpeg encoder and a DVD authoring program before and do not have much Knowlege about Mpeg encodeing and DVD authoring....

Well Good Luck

3. kyo28

kyo28 Member

thanks for the reply.
    Well, the total number of minutes would be about 90, since each episode is onle 30 minutes. This is about the same length of a single DVD9 movie. So any way to do this with just DVD Lab and 'crunch' my newly created movie with menu?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well DVDLab can author the DVD with a menu for each Movie but it will Not compress the Movie files so they are Smaller as it does not have a Built in Encoder...But at only 90 minutes per DVD you should be able to author the DVD without compressing the Files as Long as all of the Extra Audio tracks and Subtitles have been ripped out....

So if the Movie is Under 4.38gb then you can author it without compressing it but if the Files are Over 4.38 then the Files will have to be compressed...
    Or even if they are Too Big you can still make the Video_TS folder useing DVDLab and if it is too big you can shrink it useing DVD-Shrink but the quality wouldn"t be as good as if you used a Good Quality Mpeg encoder....

Cheers

5. kyo28

kyo28 Member

OK, I see.

Well, I have been experimenting a bit. I have ripped 2 discs of 45 minutes each with DVD Shrink on my HD in 2 seperate folders (each of these folders contains a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder).
    Now do I have to recreate every 'menu' that was on the original DVDs or will DVD-Lab do this automatically for me?

I've also heard of DvdReMake ... would this one also do the trick?

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

No DVDLab will not allow you to import a Video_TS folder...
    You are going about it a totally different way than I would so I have no idea how you would do it the way you are trying to do it....

7. MackemX

MackemX Regular member

Hi kyo28

DVDRemake Pro will allow you to do this. You can either rebuild the DVD or just join 2 DVD's (or 3 if you are not bothered about quality loss) using my guides

http://www.deano.dsl.pipex.com/dvdremake/dvdremake.htm

it shows you the vast majoirty of what to do and how to do it. I do know the next version of DRM will vastly increase the speed of the process also. If you have any questions just ask and I'm sure I can help ;)

8. kyo28

kyo28 Member

whoa, that's exactly what I needed. Thanks MackemX!
    I'll give it a try and if I have any questions, I might indeed call upon your help again (but seeing as the tutorial is well written, I should be able to handle)

9. scabies

scabies Member

hi m8 i tend to use dvd decrypter to rip it to my hard drive then dvd2one to squash it tmpgenc dvd author to add menus then burn with nero 6 it sounds a bit long winded but you can get some good results doing it this way

10. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

kyo28

DVD remake is a marvelous tool and if MackemX says that it will do what you need then I feel confident and supporting that.