1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advantages of having 2 HardDrives...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by billybob, Apr 18, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

FInd the right offer, and 500GB drives can actually be cheaper than two 250s, at least in the UK. I can't add that much topic to this discussion because I have 7 hard drives!
    Food for thought, the bigger drives are typically the newest models, and are quieter and slightly faster than previous models.

As for Raptors, there's no doubt they're fast, but there's also no doubt they're expensive, especially if you have a lot of data to store. If you want absolute performance, 2 150GB Raptors in RAID0 is the way to do it, but you're paying for three 500GB drives for the sake of getting only 300GB from it. One hybrid solution is to use a Raptor for loading your OS quickly, and using normal drives to store your files, which is what I did. The smaller the raptor, the worse value you get though, my 37GB version cost £2.00 per gigabyte. 500GB drives are now 15p per gigabyte! The 37GB Raptors (can't speak for the other versions) are also very noisy.

Apart from a Seagate Barracuda 250GB I've had for a while, I mainly use WD and Samsung drives, I've had good experience with them, and they're most often quiet (with the exception of my two 250GB Caviars, but they're two years old now).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well sata cables are much smaller, I would say maybe an 1/8 of the size of a IDE cable. Here is a site with all the info you could ever need on SATA. The most important article for you to read would most likely be the one about SATA 3Gb/s a.k.a SATA2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA

3. billybob

billybob Regular member

Thanks sammorris and peainapod:D

Sam, i like your idea. I might get a 75gb Raptor drive just to load my OS, then a 500gb SATA drive to store things on.

OR i might get the raptor and 2 250gb's, to store programs and things on one, and films on the other.
    :D

What dya reckon to my idea then? well...sams idea haha. :D

like : http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/119026/rb/27113952058

..for my OS drive. What ya think?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Can I recommend a 74GB Raptor and 2 250GB Samsung Spinpoints? :)

5. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

whatever you do, have a separate drive system to back everything up to.

6. billybob

billybob Regular member

Yes, yes u can :D Wait...being a noob, is a "raptor" drive one of those that i just posted.....the 73 gb one? Or is raptor a make or what. Sorry, im new to this ... :D

Sure thin :D