1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advantages to using FAT32 instead of WBFS on HDD for Wii?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by gambleboy, Mar 16, 2010.

1. gambleboy

gambleboy Member

Hi,

If we do not consider the possibility of using the HDD for other things than Wii use, is there any reason for it to be FAT32?

It seems that when using WBFS i can easily keep the game images small as WBFS manager takes care of that, but it's not as evident how I should make the iso files smaller in FAT32. All my attempts have ended with 4GB isos even if the WBFS gets some games down to 0,5-1GB.
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Kafluke

Kafluke Regular member

You pretty much answered your own question. People just fat32 so they can plug in to a PC and not have to load up WBFS manager. If that file system is working better for you then why change to fat32?
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  4. gambleboy

gambleboy Member

I was wondering if FAT32 was quicker, or if there were any other things than ISO images you could put on the HDD that the Wii could read? Putting WADs onto the HDD, can they be read?
  5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Make sure when you transfer the games to the FAT32 partition your converting them to WBFS files. Another + for using FAT32 is so you can use and load Wii applications that use FAT32 file system. Most homebrew requires FAT32 file system.
  6. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i have a multiple partition drive with FAT32/NTFS/WBFS, and have no problems. the FAT32 is a small 2gig partition so wads and configurable usb loader can be loaded without a SD card. the NTFS houses all of the bootmii NANDS of the wii's i have done.

i've heard WBFS has a better game compatability over FAT32 since it was specifically designed to be read by the wii. no problems with SSBB or NSMBwii from the start.
  7. larrylje

larrylje Active member

All the games work perfectly fine using FAT32 (even SSBB/NSMB).

Always nice to have FAT32 for applications like Emulators or video streaming.
  8. gambleboy

gambleboy Member

I also suspect this, as when I tried out loading games from USB at first with a 16 GB USB memory stick, only a few games worked when on FAT32, but everything worked on WBFS. But I wasn't sure if this was because of the filesystems or if the USB stick was not 100% compatible.