1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advertisements on Afterdawn

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by Oriphus, Jul 11, 2003.

1. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

dRD - Is there any chance you could change the advertisements on afterdawn so that when you click on them it opens a new browser instad of doing it in the current one?

Chris

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Some of the ad networks don't allow this -- for most of the ads, this (opens in new window) is already the case.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I dont mean to doubt you, but are you sure they open in a new browser. I've just gone through a load of the adds and they all open in the current browser. I think they were mostly burstnet adds that i viewed.

Lol - I see you couldve made $15 from DVD Shrink if you had of lied - lol

Chris

4. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I could have started a new thread for this but since this is about advertisement I might aswell say it here. dRD I dont see those big ass banners on the main aD page or the forum anymore, in fact I see no banners on the top of any page, no matter how much i hit CTRL + F5, just thought you would like to know, just in case some people dont see any banners, how are they supposed to click them??

5. dRD

Dela: Weird. IE or Mozilla?

6. Dela

IE, they used to be there but now they dont appear, but when i look at the status bar it looks like it is loading but then just quits! some kind of timeout error?? perhaps its because i usually have a few downloads going??

7. dRD

Sounds lot like a timeout error or DNS problem or something. If you have Moz or any other browser, try them out as well.

8. Dela

I will indeed, i closed Bit Torrent for a minute for the first time in 3 or 4 days and wjhat did i get, yep a big ass banner! lol So it must be just a timeout error, still though, not too nice at all!

9. dRD

Yep, not nice, but whatyougonnado :) The problem is really the fact that sometimes the ad you see is delivered through gazillion redirects -- the first call goes to our ad server, which decides which ad it should deliver -> this sends a request to ad network, if they don't have the ad, it goes to the next ad network, if they don't have an ad, it goes to yet another ad network. And if they don't have the ad, it goes back to our ad server which delivers you a default (normally DVDXCopy, WinDVD, etc banners).

And if any of these "hops" times out, the ad wont get delivered at all. But luckily, over 97% of pages loaded, get the ad correctly._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Petteri Pyyny
    Webmaster
    http://AfterDawn.com/

Please read our guides before posting questions! Guides are available here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/[/small]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2003
  10. Dela

Well thats good, all except for me of course ;-) lol, and probably anyone else who uses Bit Torrent!

11. dRD

We seem to have had somekinda more general problems with ad serving on Saturday and Sunday as well. Do you still get blank ads?

12. Dela

Well i just had a nightmare day man, 12 hours fixing my computer, lightning, faulty xp pro cd, windows 2003, 98 and ME all in one day and now I'm stuck with ME for a while, damn this sucks, when i get back to my old self i will fill you in on it!

13. Dela

Right, today, not one has failed to load under WinME! When i get XP back installed again i will tell you how it goes!!