1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice - Can never burn a VCD with a decent quality

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Robeben, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Robeben

Robeben Guest

I did everything needs to be done. I capture clips using Dazzle Video Creator 1 as Mpeg1. Edit & render using Media Pro 6.5; and finally burn into VCD using Adaptec Deluxe 4.0 and 5.0. At times I used WinOnCD as well.

So disappointed with the playback quality that I stop burning into VCD. I archive it as MPEG data file instead.

But there must be something I can do. Why are the part-time professionals able to produce VCDs equivalent to VCR quality? What is missing here?

Is it because Adaptec re-encode video when formatting into VCD thus losing the quality?
    If true, which burning softwares do not re-encode whilst formatting into VCD??? Please advise and help.

Singapore.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Yes, your problem is that you re-encode the files. EZCD shouldn't do that either as long as you keep your files all the time in MPEG-1 format. The problem is editing in here -- your editing software very likely saves the edited data in re-encoded format or in AVI which needs to be re-encoded anyway.

It all comes down to what kind of editing you need to do -- if you just want to cut / paste your video and don't want to do anything else, use TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools, which cuts/merges video clips without re-encoding the material, keeping it in MPEG-1/VideoCD compliant format, so that EZCD doesn't need to re-encode the video.

3. Robeben

Robeben Guest

Thanks. Will try TMPGEnc's MPEG Tools.

But what if besides cut & paste video clips I like to add titles and maybe minimum transitions between clips - does that mean there is no way I can cut VCD with VCR quality?

Is there no layman solution at all to allow a good playback quality of a home-made VCD with titles (which is the most reasonable thing to add)?

Singapore

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

The problem is that you use Dazzle which encodes the video on the fly using hardware -- most of us use non-lossy compression formats for capturing, like Huffyuv or slightly lossy formats like M-JPEG. One hour of capture what I capture, takes appx 4-15 gigs of HDD space -- meanwhile your capture takes 600megs. This means that I can edit my video is higher quality before I encode it using TMPGEnc, but I need helluva lot more HDD space.

5. Robeben

Robeben Guest

So I was introduced a bad stuff to begin with.

Can you tell me more about the non-lossy capturing stuff like Huffyuv please. Do I need a propreitory capture card to capture video, or canI use the S-Video input to capture it?

Apart from that, those that I already captured with Dazzle can I still use them on TMPGEnc and get a decent playback after burning with Adaptec?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2002