1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a newbee

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Hitman8, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Hitman8

Hitman8 Member

Ok, just got the PSP today, just exploring the possabilities . Reading arround, and pretty much got the idea of SW upgrade since im in a simmilar line of work with satelite stuff.
    Please someone help me what should i instal on a software Ver: 2.71
    I notice here someone mentioning 2.71SE, so i guess thats different from what i got. Do i need to downgrade first so i could instal the latest SW for exmp. 3.03 OE-C (whats OE-C mean anyway)

Thanks

2. yohex

yohex Guest

Open Edition - C

Yes you would need to downgrade your psp to upgrade to custom firmware.

3. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

If you want to learn more of the psp scene, go to psp-hacks.com and pspupdates.qj.net and read up/search on the stuff they have there. They also have oe-c for download there. Oh and dont forget the to read the readme (there pretty easy to understand).

4. Hitman8

Hitman8 Member

Well if its not too hard for you, i ment tell me what should i do to 2.71? downgrade to what? and than upgrade to what?
    As for the ugrade and downgrade procedure i guess it would be good for you guys to avoid people questioning you the same stuff every time someone joins in, by making a sticky post with upgrade step by step tutorials and a map with which firm version goes over another

5. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

This is really YOUR decision on what to do you on your psp, if you want to downgrade, go ahead, no one is stopping you.

Ha! Do you honestly think this would really work? Stickies are only noticed by the older members and noobs dont notice it. You made a new thread about this and someone else will make a new thread without searching as well (hope i didnt offend you there).

6. Hitman8

Hitman8 Member

Yeah, i guess youre right! i forget what could be the age average of a Sony PSP owning forum members:)
    As i am a member of many satelite TV forums regarding soft upgrading and flashing, reading stickeys and tutorials is a must before asking something.
    Ok, im geting somewhere anyway, found some tuts, soo.. looks like there is something called TA-082 that wont let a PSP with 2.71 downgrade firm lower than 2.50. But i didnt get this 100%. If it says
    IC-1003 on the right side under the UMD cap opening, than you have TA-082, but if on the left side there is also IC-6001 than you dont have it? Well i have IC-6001 on the left and IC1003 on the right side, so that mean i can downgrade to 1.5? And what would be your advice to upgrade after , lets say for playing games downloaded from net?

7. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

Ok, tell me, whats the full name of the downgrader? If its called 2.71 Generic Downgrader and you have a ta-082, DO NOT use this. This is for 2.71 psp that dont have a ta-082. You want the 2.71 TA-082 downgrader.

8. Hitman8

Hitman8 Member

Well thats what i just asked. I told you whats writen under the UMD cap, so do i or do i not have TA-082?

9. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

If your psp has these numbers, then its a ta-082.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  10. Hitman8

Hitman8 Member

Yeah but the text what i read also said that if i have IC-6001 on the left side i can downgrade to any firm i want regardless to what it says on the right side. Thats what confused me. So do i still can downgrade only to 2.5?
    This is kinda confusing coz im reading about all these firmware versions and i dont know what i get with eather one of them.
    What do you run at the moment and why?

11. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

No, back then, you could only downgrade to 2.5 if its a ta-082, now, you can downgrade to 1.5 too. Since your isnt a ta-082, you can use the 2.71 Generic downgrader to dowgrade to 1.5

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  12. Hitman8

Hitman8 Member

So thats the final verdict? that my PSP isnt a TA-082 MB?
    OK, i guess thats good, coz there are TA 082 warnings everywhere. Been meaning to ask, whats the worst that can happend? Can you PSP become unusable beyond any way to repair if you write the flash with the wrong file?
    Now if i could only decide what generic downgrader to use and how to use it. I found one, and this is wht it says in the Readme
    ":This tool enables a 2.71 running HEN C to downgrade to any version from 1.50-2.70 or to
    reflash the own 2.71."
    What da hell is HEN C!? Can i use this one?

13. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

HEN C allows you to run the downgrader, without it, you cant run it. What you need to do is first go to photo > henc and then it should change color (green or blue, if is red, dont worry, try again) after it changed color it should then restart. If it doesnt do it over again to restart. Ok, so if you have a IC1003, its a ta-082 if not, then it isnt a ta-082. When hen c is enabled, run the downgrader. But before you do, make sure you follow the readme and the directions and have everything in place or else you'll have a brick!

14. Hitman8

Hitman8 Member

Ooooook , this is giving me a headache
    So were back to the TA-082 question again, is it or is it not.
    here is what i got so far. Quoting a tutorial
    "Wondering if your PSP has a TA-082 motherboard?
    Just Open the UMD Door and look if you see any numbers in the top right hand-side, look for this "IC1003".
    If we see, in the opposite side, and under the chassis of the tray of the UMD, and with the label "IC-6001", you will be able to lower it to the firmware that you want
    If not, only to 2.50. "

Ok, so after reading this, im checking under the hood and i find
    Left Side IC-6001 Right Side IC-1003

So is it or is it not TA-082 and can i use the Generic 2.71 downgrader or something ellse?

Regards
    and thanks for all the help