1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for Soldering an IC Leg

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by mv10, May 21, 2007.

1. mv10

mv10 Member

As you all know its very very small and well its going to require extreme preciseness. Do you need a solder for this as well as the bead will usually be much bigger than the actual leg.
    Any Advice?

2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Did you mess up the normal soldering point?

Or

Did you get 1 of the new updated motherboards that Nintendo has put out on newer Wii Systems?

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  3. mv10

mv10 Member

New Motherboards

4. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I would tin the wire first then try to add a little solder at the base of the IC leg.

I have read in some threads of members using tape on both sides of the IC leg that your soldering to. It will help protect from bridging to the other IC legs next to it.

5. paperc07

paperc07 Member

well I bought my wii about a month ago so I dont know if I have the new motherboard or not do I??? Also I hate to be a pain in the ass but what do you mean by tin the wire and what is the base of the ic leg by taping. I attached this link so you could possibly help me better as I am going to have my wiikey in like a day or 2 and I need as much information as possible considering this is going to be my second time soldering so I want to make sure I do everything right and I dont mess up so any help is greatly appreciated

http://www.consolesource.com/support/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=downloadfile&downloaditemid=58

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Tinning the wire is placing solder on the wire before making your soldering joint. When I say the base of the IC leg I mean the part of the IC leg farthest from the chip itself.

If you have the old style board on your Wii then you will not have to solder to the IC leg at all.

If you have the newer Board then you will have to solder to only 1 of the IC legs on the chip.

I provided images below...

Old Style Board
    [​IMG]

New Style Board
    [​IMG]

7. paperc07

paperc07 Member

well i have seen wire installations and like I said this will only be my second time soldering so I would feel much more comforable doing it that way but what wires would I use to connect from the motherboard to the chip??? the video is here http://youtube.com/watch?v=nM5lGVa3hzk

Because I think that I might mess it up if I direct solder I have already tried some practice tries, is there any recommendations on how you think I should try soldering it??? thank you sorry for all the questions.