1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from someone with SM discs and no swap ps2

Discussion in 'PS2' started by toygt4, Jun 27, 2003.

1. toygt4

toygt4 Member

I'd like to get advice from someone who has used a ps2 with Swap Magic discs and someone who has a no swap ps2 like magic 3.1 or messiah2. You can post on here, private message me or send me IM to j0em5 via AIM.

I just want to know if the swap magic discs have caused you problems and which you like overall for the money. Wanting to know if a pre mod system is really worth the extra money.

Thanks

2. psx245

psx245 Regular member

premodded are really worth it like http://internationalgamingworld.com which sells a premodded magic 3.1 for $255. And i had no solder mod and swap magic disc before old ps2 broke. Swapping is not very enjoyable because it can be hassle for some people and it doesn't play dvd-rips and some backups. So if you know how to solder get a magic 3.1 or a messiah 2 pro.

3. JDBZ124

JDBZ124 Member

For the money I think the No swap modchips are way more worth it. Your reason for getting any mods is to protect original CDs right? So why get more CDs that can get scratched when you can get a modchip for the same price or even less.
    Just a thought

4. motown35

motown35 Guest

no solder mods are cheap u can install them yourself in about 5 min and there is no risks in burning your system if your chip is soldered wrong.Every game i backup works on my no solder chip i do recomend the swap disks you can get the chip and the disks for about 30 dollars.AR and gameshark disks dont work that well

5. JDBZ124

JDBZ124 Member

Thats a good price. I recommend the No Swap Modchip for those who are advanced in electronics and good with soldering. If not get a swap method. But I have a question, With the no solder modchip, do you have to do a swap "trick", Or do you just press the eject button?

6. toygt4

toygt4 Member

Ok well brand new pre mod magic 3.1 is $250. Or I can buy a new with swap discs for around $200 even. Also, I heard that the no solder chips are terrible becuase of fuses blowing which fries the entire ps2, two people that repair ps2's have told me this.

7. Hanedrick

Hanedrick Regular member

I would recomend either the fliptop cover or slide card because they are cheap and very easy to install; also swaping isn't that bad. I wouldn't get the no solder modchip because it's harder to install and isn't as efficient.

8. toygt4

toygt4 Member

Grrrr, I hear you guys and I want to just save money and get SM discs. Then I go on IRC and they say all SM discs suck and I should get magic 3.1.

9. JDBZ124

JDBZ124 Member

Get a premodded DMS3 its worth the extra 40 bucks than getting the Magic 3.1, It allows you to play MP3 CDs and Divx movies, It also allows for future upgradeability thru flashing. Look on the forum the first page has a thread dealing with premodded PS2s_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Your Destiny Lies Before You, Choose Wisely.
    SCPH 30001R/ V5 PS2
    Magic 3.1
    Cendyne/Pioneer A05
    FujiFilm DVD-R 2X
    Alcohol 120%
    [/small]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2003
  10. toygt4

toygt4 Member

I ended up ordering flip top with swap magic. After talking to some people on irc who had the setup, I'm pretty confident I made the right decision. I save money and don't have to worry about wires on a modchip coming loose somehow or anything like that.

I'll let you guys know how it all works out.

11. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

It will work out fine, as long as you make the backup correctly. Good Luck!