1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice!!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by j_holmes, Aug 16, 2004.

1. j_holmes

j_holmes Regular member

Hi guys.
    >>>>>>>>
    Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction.
    I have to harddrives, 80gb & 120gb.
    >>>>>>>
    I want to partition the 120gb, and install windows,
    (just for a back up).
    >>>>>>
    What my system starts up on is the 80gb, with windows.
    >>>>>
    I want to be-able to do a quick format and quick install of windows, (when needed).
    >>>>
    Is it possible to put windows on a partition on the 120gb,(Hence, only using the partition when needed)
    format the 80gb, then copy the partition to the 80gb?
    >>>
    P.S. When i partition the 120gb, what size is needed for windows to be installed?
    >>
    Thanks again..
    >

2. Xian

Xian Regular member

It would be easier to use some kind of drive cloning software such as Norton Ghost. It allows you to copy and restore partitions. With it you would make a copy and store the copied image on the 2nd drive, cd, dvd, or other media. Then if you have to reinstall Windows all you would have to do is restore from that image.

3. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

As mentioned Norton Ghost is what you are looking for.

There are lots of ways you can setup your system one such way is have a hidden partition - Partition Magic is good for that - you hide a partition with the OS on it and then when you want to swap the hide to the other partition. It really depends what you are trying to achieve.

Size of Partition for Windows - how long is a piece of string. Which version of Windows are you using ?

Are you using Hibernation mode, how much RAM do you have as that affects the SWAP file size needed by Windows 9x or Page file in Windows NT - 2003

As you have a 120 GB drive and FAT32 only supports drive partitions up to about 64 Gb then I guess you are using Win 2K or XP. With games loaded - the more the bigger the size you require I would recommend a C: Drive of no less than 10 Gb but with a 120 Gb Drive - what are you going to do with the space on the other partition so why not split the disk in half. Your choice really.

Hope that helps

Phil