1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise for having dual monitors.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jigdish, May 14, 2011.

1. jigdish

jigdish Member

I just bought 2 new monitors and I'm trying to hook them up.

I bought a Splitter and then after i hooked it up and the same thing showed up on both screens I realized thats exactly what should show up.

I have a nvidia geforce 8500gt video card with one hdmi output and one DVI-I dual link according to this page..
    http://www.cablestogo.com/resources/digital-video-dvi-hdmi.asp

Both monitors are DVI-D Single-Link.

I currently have HDMI hooked up to my 50" DLP to watch movies and such.

My guess is I need another video card with 2 DVI outputs on it so I can run both monitors.

I use my computer for work, music, photo editing, and to watch movies on the 50in DLP. No gaming at all.

My system is:
    AMD Phenom(tm)9600 Quad Core Processor 2.3 GHz
    7.00 GB
    windows 7 64-bit OS

I'd like to keep the price down if possible.

I dont know the names of the different slots.

the one the video card is plugged into is a PCI express
    the next 2 are really small 11 pins then 7.
    and the fourth has three sections. 11 pins, cant count the number, then 11 pins again.

Thanks for your help and suggestions ahead of time.

Jerry

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

does your videocard also have a vga connector & does your monitors have 1 too?

3. jigdish

jigdish Member

Each monitor has a VGA and a DVI connection.

But the video card ONLY has one HDMI and one DVI-I output.

Jerry

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

so all that's needed is a dvi to hdmi adaptor for one of the monitors & another hdmi cable,issue solved apart from the hassle of unplugging DLP when wanting both monitors on at the same time.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. AssKlown

AssKlown Regular member

ScorpNZ is right, you cannot add another video card unless your motherboard can support it, and from the sounds of the slots you mentioned, I doubt it can (having 2 video slots on your board would mean you have a gaming board). The only/easiest way to do dual monitors is to disco your DLP, and connect the 2 monitors (adapter may be necessary to convert the HDMI to a DVI), 2nd monitor goes direct to other DVI port on video card. When its movie time, you have to disco the 2nd monitor, and re-connect your DLP.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You mean dvi to hdmi (for 1 monitor)as the cable for the hdmi is easier to remove & put back than it is for a dvi cable,in other words the adaptor i'm talking about is a solid piece & stays screwed to the monitor,it has an hdmi orfice at the other end,unless it's easier for op to get behind the computer in which case cable gets removed from graphic card end,here's the unit

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Cables-adaptors/Monitor/auction-375534189.htm

7. jigdish

jigdish Member

Thanks for the help guys.

I ended up getting a HDMI Splitter. HDMI plugs into the Computer, with one DVI out and one HDMI out. I can get both of my monitors to work. I have a remote Switcher on my TV. When I turn the TV to Computer one monitor switches resolution and the same picture shows up on the TV and the monitor. That problem is fixed.

If I were to replace the video card I would want a PCI Express video card with one HDMI out, and 2 DVI outs.

Any suggestions for a non-gaming (med price range) Video card?

Again I use this computer for, work, music, photo editing, and to watch movies on the 50in DLP. No gaming at all.

Thanks again for your help.

Jerry