1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adwcleaner has removed all passwords

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by bauld1, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    I can't install Comodo Dragon or Avast on the laptop.
    Avast-An error 82(00000052)has ocurred.Last performed operation was extracting main exe.
    Any ideas?Thanks
    Cheers
    bauld1

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Sounds like Norton or remnants of Norton are on that computer.. Avast will not install if there's a piece of Norton left on the computer.

Use the Norton removal tool and see if that works. Download -> HERE.

2oG

3. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 20G,
    Got it sorted,Avast and Comodo Dragon installed on Laptop.A page was acting as administator.I did a google search for this error and said it could be a microsoft registry error,but theres a lot of things on the Avast forums aswell(seems a common thing and headache)just to let you know if someone else has this problem.
    Thanks again.Take care
    Cheers
    bauld1

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Dragon is one of the Chromium browsers but doesn’t have the privacy concerns like Google Chrome. I am still a dyed in the wool Firefox man myself but that’s what makes horse racing.. lol

Either one, Norton or Comodo DNS will be OK but use one of them.
    Adblock plus is not a program. It’s an add on extension for your browser that I highly recommend.
    Adblock Plus -> HERE. This allows you to subscribe to many different filter lists, which help block unwanted or malicious content. These can be found on this page. You can subscribe to any of the lists on that page, but be aware that subscribing to too many will slow down your browsing experience. I'd advise subscribing to the EasyPrivacy+EasyList combination and Malware Domains.

The DNS and AdBlocker will stop a lot of malware but, Not All of it. So I recommend a regular cleaning session every week, 2 weeks or month depending on how much time you spend roaming the web. Run these 3:
    AdwCleaner from HERE.
    Junkware Removal Tool from HERE.
    MalwareBytes’ Anti-Malware from HERE.

Here is another little trick I’ve learned. I never shut down one of my desktop computers, they sleep, my laptops get shut down. Any time I shut down or reboot a computer, after being on the internet, I clean all of the Temp files. Malware will come into a Temp file and then install the next time the computer is booted so if you clear it out, it has no way to run the next time the computer is started or booted. I use TFC.exe by OldTimer it works better than Ccleaner or ATF cleaner:
    Temp File Cleaner (TFC.exe) from HERE.

You should have your Windows updates set to auto download and install…
    NEVER set auto update for Adobe Flash or Java.. They are Malware magnets.
    I don’t even install Java. Java Script is different and runs on browsers other than IE. IE uses ActiveX and I use SpywareBlaster to take care of that..
    I do not use Adobe Reader – I use Foxit reader, much safer and works as well.
    Here’s another little trick:
    Use Secunia PSI from HERE to keep your applications updated. And, when you download Anything, save it to your desktop and BEFORE installing, right click and scan it with Avera AND malwarebytes. That will solve a lot of heartaches. Lol

You’re welcome and I really hope it helps anyone who reads this thread. I really must enjoy helping because the pay here sucks pond water! LMAO

2oG

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

bauld1,
    let me know how you got Avast to work. What did you have to do?

2oG

6. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    Thanks for all the info,
    I set up user pages,not realising the original set up page was running as an administrator,and just installed Avast and comodo on that page,thankfully it worked.

7. bauld1

bauld1 Member

Hi 2oG
    Thanks for all the info,
    I set up user pages,not realising the original set up page was running as an administrator,and just installed Avast and comodo on that page,thankfully it worked.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2oldGeek, i haven't got paid in years here so what are you complaining about?

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

ddp, it must be nice to be independently wealthy...

10. ddp

if only i was. i'm in debt for about $23k due to my parents deaths.

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

was this recent?

12. ddp

yes. mom died just over 2yrs ago from complications of flesh eating disease. she owed me $11k on my line of credit that she used & i've got about $5,500 left to pay. my step-father died on feb 3rd this year & there is a lien on the house because of his legal issues of about $17.5k.

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

All I can say is; Keep your chin up, when it rains and gets you wet, the sun will come and dry you out.

I always taught my kids that if money can fix the problem then it's not worth worrying about. But if one of your kids has leukemia, you have the right to worry.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  14. aldan

aldan Active member

ive got the independant part down.now just have to figure out the money.