1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After 3 months of self teaching, I NEED some expert advice

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by johnpwilk, May 28, 2007.

1. johnpwilk

johnpwilk Guest

Like the title says, I need some expert advice.

I have been dabbling with dvd encoding for about three months now. I have converted about every format to DVD, and used countless programs(copyX2DVD, Nero Vision, Procoder, WinAvi, etc..). So far, I have had mixed results.

By mixed results I mean some of the videos come out great and playback without a problem. More recently, I have been experiencing some difficulties.

My areas of concern:

I have this DVDrip, I watched it on my pc, all the way through. It is great quality and played perfectly in sync. I used Nero Vision to encode to DVD and burn to DVD+R. I pop it in the DVD player, and about five minutes into it, the audio goes out of sync, and the disc is now a coaster. What am I doing wrong? Is it just random, or should I be doing or using something different.

Also, another issue. Regardless of the original file (divx, drdrip, etc..) there seems to be a couple spots in every dvd i produce that it skips or gets scrambled. I can just fast forward through it, but thats not the point. When I watch it on my pc, it is flawless, when I burn it, i can always count on a few rough patches.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to professionally, properly, and consistently encode to DVD?

i am open to any ideas or software.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

How fast are you burning at and what type of media are you using? Chris

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Skipping and so on is usually a result of burning too fast/poor media. Burn at 4x or 1/2 the rated speed of the media and Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim is generally regarded as the best followed by any Made in Japan. For your sync issue, look here: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic309224.html Not tried this but I know ConvertXtoDVD is good with audio. Also, GSpot is currently at 2.70 b and 2.60 has gone to release. Any version should be fine.

4. johnpwilk

johnpwilk Guest

thanks for the information. I will look into those issues.

BTW, is there a way (or program) that will improve the quality of the source??

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

No, the quality will never be better than your source.

Last edited: May 28, 2007
  6. johnpwilk

johnpwilk Guest

thanks, makes sense. What is the preferred, "non" one click solution??

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

I don't think there is any preferred solution. I use MainConcept, I have heard that CCE Basic is very good, TMPGEnc Plus is very popular (for DVD but slow), Procoder was good but almost as slow as TMPGEnc (for me). I would say whatever you are happy with is preferred.

8. whassup

whassup Regular member

For myself, depends on what the coding is for. If it's a clean source (e.g. DVD), most encoders will provide good results.

If the source isn't as clean (e.g. camcorder), the quality of the encoder is paramount. I found CCE to provide average results, while Mainconcept and TMPGEnc were similar in results. IMO, ProCoder is the best out there but also one of the slowest. However, if top quality is your main concern, the speed of the encode shouldn't be an issue.

As for syncing problems, Nero's encoder sucks. Just use a minimum of TMPGEnc to get better results. Most syncing problems are caused by VBR encoded audio. To get top results, demux the audio to a PCM file and encode from that.

9. johnpwilk

johnpwilk Guest

Thanks for all of the replies. I have got that down now. Is there a way to, once one selects which apps they use, automate the process?